Collecting wasp grubs.....

This is the place to discuss the fishing baits.
RBTraditional
Catfish

Re: Collecting wasp grubs.....

Post by RBTraditional »

Hair rigged!!!!! Please refrain from such profanities.....or I'll have to call Matron.... :monkeys:
" Angling is not an escape from life, but often a deeper immersion into it..."

https://thepiscatorialraconteurs.co.uk/

Chris Bettis
Crucian Carp

Post by Chris Bettis »

I read those instructions many years ago but never tried to collect them myself. Used them for fishing though having a grandfather who seem to have no trouble getting them. As I remember they were a good bait but not good enough for me to collect my own.

Davejass
Rudd

Post by Davejass »

Memories!!
I can remember collecting wasp grubs back in the fifties when i was a nipper. We used to find the nest and then use carbide to flush them out. This was done by spitting on the carbide which then gave off a nasty smell. When most of them had cleared off we would dig them out and use the cake and grubs. I also used to grow my own gentles. As i had a part time job in a butchers I was able to get a nice pigs head which I would leave in the shed until they were blown. They were huge gentles which would be called gozzers now I suppose. Good job I lived in the country then as the smell could be pretty nasty!! My mum was very understanding!
Happy Days!!
Dave@ Hastings

Clivey
Ruffe

Post by Clivey »

I used to be a Pest Control officer back in the 80's and 90's for the local council.

I had a little sideline thing going with my local fishing shop with Keith (Rip) and Jim who used to own the Middlesex Angling centre, Oldfield Lane Greenford.

Everytime i took him down a wasp nest (2 or 3 a week in season) i used to get as many free maggots/floats etc as i wanted !! They used to use them on the local match scene back then with good results. I had a few good chub out on the local River Colne/Frays river but never had anything else, no perch etc.

If you get a wasp nest now please make sure you wash the wasp nests and grubs thoroughly if an insecticide has been used as most of them are VERY toxic to fish.

Happy days !

Clivey :whistle:

Dendrobaena
Silver Bream

Post by Dendrobaena »

I cant remember the last time i have seen a wasp! :Confused:
"Try to learn something about everything and everything about something."

Chubman
Crucian Carp

Post by Chubman »

a rag soaked in diesil and set fire to, used to work for me, but a few hours of caution was needed after the smokey fire subsided

Chris Bettis
Crucian Carp

Post by Chris Bettis »

No doubt that they are a good bait but I find a visit to the bakers to select a loaf of bread far less hazardous. Fascinating little read though!

Vole
Rainbow Trout

Post by Vole »

Practice with Tup's Indispensables first; mistakes are less likely to be lethal to either angler or animal.
"Write drunk, edit sober" - Hemingway.
Hemingway didn't have to worry about accidentally hitting "submit" before he edited.

Robbi
Tench

Post by Robbi »

What's one of them then ? :Confused:
"In the back roads by the rivers of my memory"

Vole
Rainbow Trout

Post by Vole »

Sorry, I'd missed the intervening posts and was referring to RBT's bulls-bits suggestion.
The "Tups" is a trout fly with a pinkish wool body, the original having been tied using wool from a ram's scrotum (ram = tup in some areas).

What on earth the inventor was up to when he came by the first sample is probably not up for conjecture on this site.
"Write drunk, edit sober" - Hemingway.
Hemingway didn't have to worry about accidentally hitting "submit" before he edited.

Return to “Traditional Fishing Bait”