Collecting wasp grubs.....

This is the place to discuss the fishing baits.
Kev D
Chub

Re: Collecting wasp grubs.....

Post by Kev D »

I will do. Though it's not such a hen's teeth bait for me as I am a pest controller .I've used wasps' grubs a few times before but as most of the nests I deal with are destroyed with chemical powder I can't use them for bait. It wasn't so bad in the Cymag era as it became inert after a few hours but the stuff used today is a bit more persistant. The nest in the picture was easy to access so I suited-up ,bagged it and was even paid for doing it .
I'm hoping to try it on a little pit in the woods belonging to one of my customers one evening this week. If not,it'll be an hour or two on a little mill-stream.
In order to shoot some close-ups, wildlife photographer ,the late Len Scapstillon, lured the orca to him by dressing as a seal.......

Liphook
Barbel

Post by Liphook »

Perks of the job Kev :Thumb:

Kev D
Chub

Post by Kev D »

Well,I didn't get to fish the private pit as the owner went to Hampton Court ,had a wee bit to much to drink and forgot to call me. Hopefully next week!
Still, I took one of my partner's boys to the mill stream this evening where the "vintage" 70s solid glass rod I provided him with put him well ahead on baby perch and chublings. That was until the handle started spinning on the blank ; which meant that the reel never seemed to be in line with the eyes when he needed it to be. He was using the wasp grubs up too fast anyway:)
Having inadvertently sabotaged his his casting technique and catch rate with substandard tackle I sped ahead with a couple of bigger chub. Nothing of note on most waters but monsters for this little river. They also proved a good baptism for a rod I have cobbled together from a broken fly rod and home made butt extension.
20190706_235749.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
In order to shoot some close-ups, wildlife photographer ,the late Len Scapstillon, lured the orca to him by dressing as a seal.......

Liphook
Barbel

Post by Liphook »

Good use of the bait Kev D :Thumb: I like the rod too! I've a couple of frankenrods that friends laugh at but I just love catching fish on! Spinning handles are a bugger to fix in my experience. I managed one where the whole lot came off in a oney, got the blank cleaned up, keyed up, and replaced with a sparse amount of gorilla expanding glue having 1st run the tap through the corks. The glue bond had gone but the remnants were sticky in parts yet flaky in others! Most of the spinning corks I've come across are odd corks in fly rod handles where the original glue hasn't had contact. These can be replaced, glue injected etc but nothing compares to a good new handle for my twopence

Return to “Traditional Fishing Bait”