Izaak Walton's cottage

This forum belongs to Izaak Walton.
JohnClyde
Perch

Izaak Walton's cottage

Post by JohnClyde »

Yesterday I went on pilgrimage to the great man’s place in the country. For those of you who don’t know the cottage is a small museum tucked away in the Staffordshire countryside.

Its evocative too. The view from the cottage of adjoining farmland and forest brought to mind Izaak’s descriptions of tranquil meadows, although marred a little by the constant blare of the London midland mainline a 100 metres away!

The cottage is nicely done. Upstairs there are lots of stuffed fish, vintage tackle, some good books, a couple of H. Cholmondeley-Pennell’s, and even a copy of Waterlog. A nice little detail had been added to the recreated kitchen, I reckon for the attention of visiting fisherman. Nailed up on the wall next to the plastic model of hung game, was the skin of a porcupine with quills intact. I’m not sure how readily available porcupine quills were back in the mid 17th century, but still. I did the Japanese tourist thing taking photos of anything that moved but I won’t spoil it for anyone who intends to visit by posting too many photos.

One of the panels in the museum says that Walton may have chosen the place for its access to the adjacent ‘river’, the river meece or shallowfield brook. The stream is mentioned in one of his poems in the chapter on trout ‘Or with my Bryan and a book, Loyter long days near Shawford-brook’. I wandered over to take a look and soak up the Waltonian vibes. Private and overgrown, no doubt inhabited by the odd heavy bellied chavender.

The museum had a pile of tasteful A4 prints showing the stained glass portrait of IW in Winchester cathedral for sale.

A mere 20p each. I immediately thought of my TFF compatriots and bought up a few more. So I have eight copies available free to anyone who would like one, just pm me your address.
I also have a booklet ‘Izaak Walton – a short introduction’ by E.G. Marriot from Nottingham Fly Fisher’s Club, free to anyone who would like a quick read about his life. The author is not the first fly fisherman I’ve come across who makes it sound like all of IW’s fishing was the casting of an upstream dry over rising trout on the Dove, and he just happened to incidentally pen some appendages about ‘coarse’ fishing. Ugh!

Mark
Head Bailiff

Re: Izaak Walton's cottage

Post by Mark »

A lovely write up and pictures John. :thumb:

Earlier this month we had a TFF day out on the River Penk, we also stopped off at Walton's cottage after fishing.

http://www.traditionalfisherman.co.uk/v ... &start=150
Mark (Administrator)

The most precious places in the English landscape are those secretive corners,
where you find only elder trees, nettles and dreams. (BB - Denys Watkins-Pitchford).

Davyr

Post by Davyr »

johnclyde wrote: no doubt inhabited by the odd heavy bellied chavender.
Actually, Mark, I thought Steve had lost a bit of weight when we met up on that trip recently. And he's not really that odd once you get to know him. :wink:

Sorry John - private joke!

Nice photos, by the way. :thumb:

Snape
Bailiff

Post by Snape »

davyr wrote:
johnclyde wrote: no doubt inhabited by the odd heavy bellied chavender.
Actually, Mark, I thought Steve had lost a bit of weight when we met up on that trip recently. And he's not really that odd once you get to know him. :wink:

Sorry John - private joke!

Nice photos, by the way. :thumb:
:hahaha: :hahaha:
“Fishing is much more than fish. It is the great occasion when we may return to the fine simplicity of our forefathers,” Herbert Hoover.
`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸ ><((((º>

JohnClyde
Perch

Post by JohnClyde »

Ach, I thought it might have cropped already as a topic.

Snape
Bailiff

Post by Snape »

johnclyde wrote:Ach, I thought it might have cropped already as a topic.
That's fine, John. Yours is much more comprehensive. Many thanks. :hat:
“Fishing is much more than fish. It is the great occasion when we may return to the fine simplicity of our forefathers,” Herbert Hoover.

The Sweetcorn Kid
Wild Carp

Post by The Sweetcorn Kid »

Lovely.....thanks for sharing. :thumb:
SK
The Compleat Tangler

“Imagination is the real magic that exists in this world. Look inwards to see outwards. And capture it in writing.”

Nigel 'Fennel' Hudson

Click here for my Youtube Channel...
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCeoyLH ... 5H4u8sTDgA

Trevor
Eel

Post by Trevor »

A nice write up and pictures.
I can't decide if that pike looks happy or surprised to see you!

JohnClyde
Perch

Post by JohnClyde »

Nobody want one of these free A4 prints then?! I should have left the bloody things there.

Snape
Bailiff

Post by Snape »

johnclyde wrote:Nobody want one of these free A4 prints then?! I should have left the bloody things there.
PM sent John

Return to “Izaak Walton”