Crucial: Crucian?

This forum is for discussing crucian.
Vole
Rainbow Trout

Crucial: Crucian?

Post by Vole »

Three pounds of the little darling, but have I just caught my biggest-ever Crucian?
I had a good look at the dorsal fin; there's no high zone at the front. Silly me, I forgot to take a close look at its mouth - I was trembling at the thought of having to use my scales after so long... also forgot to use flash. Senile.

Wossfink?

Edit - P.S. at the risk of pushing the price up - Saino's cheapest wholemeal, the 50p stuff. The only brown bread I've met that "smears" together like new white, good for several casts if the fish don't get there first. And they do seem to like it.
"Write drunk, edit sober" - Hemingway.
Hemingway didn't have to worry about accidentally hitting "submit" before he edited.

Dave Burr
Honorary Vice President

Re: Crucial: Crucian?

Post by Dave Burr »

I must say that comparing your picture with the one in Julians 'the fish of a lifetime.....' thread that it does indeed look like the genuine article. Having said that, I'd like to have had a good close look then (and probably because I'm so jealous) I'd say its a goldfish :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

Nice fish either way :Hat:

Julian
Salmon

Post by Julian »

Certainly looks like a true-cru to me
There is no peace on earth like the peace of fishing in the early mornings

DaceAce
Eel

Post by DaceAce »

Hard to do a lateral line scale count as the scales are jumbled at times but the lateral line scale count is on the low side (30?) and it's possibly a crucian x goldfish. The shape tends that way as well; still a pretty fish.

Vole
Rainbow Trout

Post by Vole »

Thanks, chaps!
DaceAce,I suspected that might be the case; I make it 29, which , on googling, appears to be well into " x goldfish" country. Plus, it is a bit lumpy, and most crucians look rather more elegant.
Oh, well. I'd like to catch a proper big one, complete with black-tipped, orange pelvic fins... my best to date is ten ounces, from some time in the mid 1970s. I think I'll start paying a bit more attention to my club lake (whence came this one) and see if it has any "purer" half-sisters (don't really like lakes - you can't trot them unless the wind is too dam' high for comfortable fishing).
"Write drunk, edit sober" - Hemingway.
Hemingway didn't have to worry about accidentally hitting "submit" before he edited.

DaceAce
Eel

Post by DaceAce »

Glad to help; I photoshopped it to try to get definition. The top of the body seem rounded. I had a similar problem years ago when I had a 3-7 fish right the end of the season from a pit with everything from pure crucian to pure goldfish and hybrids of both, and with carp. A carp angler took a pic and sent a print many months later and only then did I look at it properly and see that it wasn't a crucian. Still trying to get a 3lber, had a 2-14 and the illustrious Pete Rolfe had one over 3lbs three times on different sessions with me a couple of swims away. Got my own back with a 2lb roach from the adjacent lake which is something he still hankers after.

Mario
Eel

Post by Mario »

very nice fish

MaggotDrowner
Zander

Post by MaggotDrowner »

My first thought was "that crucian is shaped a lot like a gold fish". Actually it was "That's a massive Crucian. Why am I never that lucky?". Beautiful fish, whatever it is. I'm still stuck in Leeds without my fishing tackle and very envious. Well done, Vole. :mrgreen:
Last edited by MaggotDrowner on Sun Jun 02, 2013 2:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"I'd rather be fishing!"

MD

Nobby
Wild Carp

Post by Nobby »

There's some interesting reading here:

http://www.crucians.org/html/identification.shtml

I don't like to get involved in the 'it it or isn't it' discussions....a good fish is a good fish, and that's good fish.

P.S. Hoping to get an invite to Peter's Ponds again soon :Wink:

Julian
Salmon

Post by Julian »

DaceAce wrote:Glad to help; I photoshopped it to try to get definition. The top of the body seem rounded. I had a similar problem years ago when I had a 3-7 fish right the end of the season from a pit with everything from pure crucian to pure goldfish and hybrids of both, and with carp. A carp angler took a pic and sent a print many months later and only then did I look at it properly and see that it wasn't a crucian. Still trying to get a 3lber, had a 2-14 and the illustrious Pete Rolfe had one over 3lbs three times on different sessions with me a couple of swims away. Got my own back with a 2lb roach from the adjacent lake which is something he still hankers after.
Daceace
What is your view on the 'crucian' in my thread ?- 'A fish of a lifetime..... but not for me'

viewtopic.php?f=249&t=7383
There is no peace on earth like the peace of fishing in the early mornings

Return to “Crucian (Carassius carassius)”