Crucian growing speed

This forum is for discussing crucian.
JerryC
Crucian Carp

Re: Crucian growing speed

Post by JerryC »

DaceAce wrote:
JerryC wrote:They also come in other sizes at MF.....note the use of the unhooking mat :Wink:
That one is a bit worrying as it looks like a crucian x carp; the head shape is wrong for a crucian but the pic is too out of focus to check scales. This happened on a lake near Bournemouth where true crucians were stocked (not sure if many left as it is fishing incredibly badly at the moment) that bred with the carp to give loads of F1s.
It's a true Marsh Farm crue, no interbreeding there as it's kept as a carp free water - just a bad photo.
If you understand what you’re doing, you’re not learning anything...........

Snape
Bailiff

Post by Snape »

Unless some naughty person slipped in a goldfish which will breed with crucians to give these.

see http://www.crucians.org/html/crucian_hybrids.shtml
“Fishing is much more than fish. It is the great occasion when we may return to the fine simplicity of our forefathers,” Herbert Hoover.
`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸ ><((((º>

Olly
Wild Carp

Post by Olly »

I believe that when a stocking took place a few carp - not crucians - went in and that they have/are been/being removed.

DaceAce
Eel

Post by DaceAce »

Olly wrote:I believe that when a stocking took place a few carp - not crucians - went in and that they have/are been/being removed.
That seems the case to me; carp are notorious for spawning well the first spring they are in a water and are likely to hybridise in the circumstances. I stand by my identification of an F1.

Chevin
Brown Trout

Post by Chevin »

Out of interest, goldfish, hybrid or cru

"A float tip is pleasing in its appearance and even more pleasing in its disappearance"

H.T. Sheringham

DaceAce
Eel

Post by DaceAce »

Chevin wrote:Out of interest, goldfish, hybrid or cru

Probably a crucian but not sharp enough to be certain on scale counts. Quite a few of Pete Rolfe's pics on his crucian website are my pics including the hybrid shown above.

Return to “Crucian (Carassius carassius)”