Crucian book 'Crock of Gold'

This forum is for discussing crucian.
Snape
Bailiff

Crucian book 'Crock of Gold'

Post by Snape »

Has any one read this http://www.amazon.co.uk/Crock-Gold-Seek ... 0956093582 and if so is it a good read?
“Fishing is much more than fish. It is the great occasion when we may return to the fine simplicity of our forefathers,” Herbert Hoover.
`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸ ><((((º>

The Sweetcorn Kid
Wild Carp

Re: Crucian book

Post by The Sweetcorn Kid »

Not read that one but will keep an eye out for it.

Thanks for the link. :thumb:
SK
The Compleat Tangler

“Imagination is the real magic that exists in this world. Look inwards to see outwards. And capture it in writing.”

Nigel 'Fennel' Hudson

Click here for my Youtube Channel...
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCeoyLH ... 5H4u8sTDgA

Weyfarer

Post by Weyfarer »

Yes, I have the book. At £35 it is not cheap but compared with many similarly priced fishing books it is streets ahead in content, research and sheer breadth of the subject matter.

Peter Rolfe has devoted many years not only fishing for crucian carp but studying their physiology, environment, habits and history. If you like crucians, and who doesn't, then you really should buy this book for it will not only make you a better angler for the species but it will provide you with a mass of fascinating information that no other book has come close to achieving.

Interestingly the book bucks the current trend by being printed on unglossy paper. Now don't misunderstand me in thinking that's a cost cutting move because it is not. What you get is very fine print quality and many more pages (288) than a book of comparable thickness. Throughout the pages are sepia tinted photographs, line drawings and reproductions of historical lithographs. There are colour photographs too (on glossy paper) of ponds and lakes, crucians and crucian hybrids and specimen fish from Sweden, Marsh Farm, Yateley Summer pit and of course Peter Rolfe's own fisheries.

Couple the factual content with guest chapters by the likes of Wintle, Wheat, Wyatt, Yates, Bowler and Miles and you know you are in for a treat. Do I sound enthusiastic? You bet, believe me this is a very good book.

The Sweetcorn Kid
Wild Carp

In that case, there goes another on the Xmas list. :hat:
SK
The Compleat Tangler

“Imagination is the real magic that exists in this world. Look inwards to see outwards. And capture it in writing.”

Nigel 'Fennel' Hudson

Davyr

Post by Davyr »

Weyfarer wrote:Yes, I have the book. At £35 it is not cheap but compared with many similarly priced fishing books it is streets ahead in content, research and sheer breadth of the subject matter.
I too have a copy and agree 100% with the above!

Mark
Head Bailiff

Post by Mark »

Looks like it's on my list now too.
Mark (Administrator)

The most precious places in the English landscape are those secretive corners,
where you find only elder trees, nettles and dreams. (BB - Denys Watkins-Pitchford).

Champ
Chub

Post by Champ »

I have it.We used some of the most helpful suggestions from it to stock Crucians in our small clubs pond.It prompted contact with Peter who has advised us on other aspects of developing a Crucian fishery.We now have pure stock in the fishing pond and have cleaned and prepared a smaller pond next to it to use as a stock pond to rear our own fish.I lent my book to other members which i am sure prompted the start and has ensured continued progress with the project.

The Sweetcorn Kid
Wild Carp

A crucian fishery, now that does sound exciting!!! :thumb:
SK
The Compleat Tangler

Nigel 'Fennel' Hudson

J.T
Catfish

Post by J.T »

The Sweetcorn Kid wrote:A crucian fishery, now that does sound exciting!!! :thumb:
Agree, that sounds brilliant. :)
"piscator non solum piscatur"

Haydn Clarke

Post by Haydn Clarke »

Yet to read my copy of COG but I have flicked through and read small sections and agree with others comments. Just out of interest for anyone looking to get a copy. Amazon have one left (as of this morning); I got mine from Amazon and it was signed by Peter. Chances are that the last copy will also be a signed one too.

Return to “Crucian (Carassius carassius)”