high water Crucians

This forum is for discussing crucian.
Rotrax
Rudd

high water Crucians

Post by Rotrax »

I landed seven Crucians yesterday, from Milton Pools, a local commercial fishery. One pond is for float fishing only and I went to test my own failing skills and my antique tackle after discovering this forum and becoming enthused.

Completely beyond my experience, these Crucians were ALL taken in the top 20 inches of a five feet depth swim and were actively competing for loose feed - 3mm pellets and maggots - on the surface with Skimmer Bream, Roach and Common Carp. Is this common for Crucians or perhaps due to the artificial nature of the pond?

Every other Crucian I have ever caught has been taken on or very close to the bottom. The first ever was taken fishing FJ Taylors 'lift' method, in the early 1960's from the small pond on Clapham Common. I have caught plenty since, none bigger than the largest I took yesterday which was close to two pounds - estimate only, I get fish back in ASAP, no weighing these days.

It was a beauty, fin and scale perfect and extremely solid. A splendid fish, made my day!

DaceAce
Eel

Re: high water Crucians

Post by DaceAce »

Any pictures?

Back in about 1982 I caught crucians on the drop at Witley park but that was after several hour in an 8-hour match using a waggler with light shotting down the line and maggots. Usually all the crucians I've caught have been hard on the bottom which is surprising given the upturned mouth.

Duckett
Tench

Post by Duckett »

I wonder if that might be unusual behaviour triggered by conditions in a commercial fishery?

My only other thought is that the best guess of the origins of Crucians are in the slow moving rivers of Latvia, Lithuania, Estonia and Russia, where they flow into the Baltic. Could they perhaps be leaping back in time to an early form of feeding behaviour?

Intriguing none the less and I can think of at least one Crucian holding pond where I might be tempted to try doing that for a session. Thanks for sharing.
From "... the wilds of the Wirral, whose wayward people both God and good men have quite given up on ...".

Wallys-Cast
Pike

Post by Wallys-Cast »

I have caught plenty of Tench in the upper levels but never a Crucian. I wonder if they are Crucian Hybrids as small common carp will feed at any level.

Wal.

Ally
Silver Bream

Post by Ally »

DaceAce wrote: Sat Nov 14, 2020 2:19 pm Any pictures?

Back in about 1982 I caught crucians on the drop at Witley park but that was after several hour in an 8-hour match using a waggler with light shotting down the line and maggots. Usually all the crucians I've caught have been hard on the bottom which is surprising given the upturned mouth.
There were so many fish in witley park there was probably no room on the bottom for them :Hahaha:

Phil Arnott
Chub

Post by Phil Arnott »

I once fished a water where I could see the crucians. As usual I fished with the bait on the bottom but it wasn't until I fished the bait in mid-water, at the same depth as the fish, that I actually caught them. I've observed tench taking floating casters and caught them in mid water and on the drop.
Fish taking on the drop I find very interesting. In well fished waters they are generally very difficult to catch and seem to be able to easily distinguish between a free offering and a bait with a hook. There are a number of methods which produce varying results but no simple answer.

Rotrax
Rudd

Post by Rotrax »

Ally wrote: Sat Nov 14, 2020 3:33 pm
DaceAce wrote: Sat Nov 14, 2020 2:19 pm Any pictures?

There were so many fish in witley park there was probably no room on the bottom for them :Hahaha:

Sorry, I am one of the few left in this world who has no phone and I never take a camera.
My wife has an all singing all dancing top end smart phone, but she stayed at home to watch Moto GP practice.
The fish from this commercial water were all in really good condition bar one decent Roach with a badly torn lip from previous encounters with hooks.
All the fish I caught bar the first three were taken at half depth or above, all on the drop. Many bites were lightning fast and were over before I could react.

Ally
Silver Bream

Post by Ally »

Never fished WP myself but I once fished a similar lake absolutely stuffed with fish. They took on the drop too, tench and all. Something to do with overstocking perhaps.

MGs
Pike

Post by MGs »

Commercial fisheries often have insufficient natural food to support the biomass contained within them. Most are stocked to snag anglers. Therefore, the stocking density is often higher than in more natural waters. I've experienced the shoal of piranhas behaviour. Throw in some loose feed and the water explodes. Could be that the fish are making the most of the opportunity to eat. If that means swimming in the surface layers, they will be accustomed to it. Get to the food first.
Old car owners never die....they just rust away

Marmelade
Rudd

Post by Marmelade »

Rotrax wrote: Sat Nov 14, 2020 1:42 pm I landed seven Crucians yesterday, from Milton Pools, a local commercial fishery. One pond is for float fishing only and I went to test my own failing skills and my antique tackle after discovering this forum and becoming enthused.

Completely beyond my experience, these Crucians were ALL taken in the top 20 inches of a five feet depth swim and were actively competing for loose feed - 3mm pellets and maggots - on the surface with Skimmer Bream, Roach and Common Carp. Is this common for Crucians or perhaps due to the artificial nature of the pond?

Every other Crucian I have ever caught has been taken on or very close to the bottom. The first ever was taken fishing FJ Taylors 'lift' method, in the early 1960's from the small pond on Clapham Common. I have caught plenty since, none bigger than the largest I took yesterday which was close to two pounds - estimate only, I get fish back in ASAP, no weighing these days.

It was a beauty, fin and scale perfect and extremely solid. A splendid fish, made my day!
Very nice. I want to catch a big crucian. I like to keep fish out the water for the minimal time so weigh them in the net. I use a small net that weighs a pound with the handle. It takes seconds. I use small digital scales. I`ve had the brass spring ones before, they`re not very good in comparison.

Return to “Crucian (Carassius carassius)”