crucian dilemma

This forum is for discussing crucian.
ItchenRoach
Gudgeon

crucian dilemma

Post by ItchenRoach »

this time last year I was enjoying some great crucian fishing on a local club lake the water is about 2 acres and stocked with crucian carp up to 3lb and tench to 6lb with a good few golden tench to 4lb,i fished with sealey octofloat rod centrepin reel 4lb main line and 3lb hook link .This year pre lock down the club stocked the lake with 165 king carp between 8 and 16 pound ,now to the problem with so many big carp in the lake do I carry on with the same set up and lose a lot of big carp or up the tackle and lose the pleasure of fishing for crucian on light tackle.

Santiago
Wild Carp

Re: crucian dilemma

Post by Santiago »

Depends how snaggy the swims are and how confident you are playing carp on lighter tackle. I suspect since you know the water and your own ability that you're best placed to answer this conundrum yourself. Personally, I would stick with the 6lb line if the swims are snag free.
"....he felt the gentle touch on the line and he was happy"

Hemingway

Olly
Wild Carp

Post by Olly »

Sounds like they have totally knackered the water for tench & crucians!

Farnham AC try to remove all carp carp from their noted crucian carp waters - mostly to stop interbreeding.

Regrettably all 3 mixed together does not bode well for the more timid feeding species.

Liphook
Barbel

Post by Liphook »

I agree with Olly - what were the club committee thinking? There are king carp virtually everywhere these days. Why oh why do we need more waters stocked with them?

ItchenRoach
Gudgeon

Post by ItchenRoach »

thanks for the replies the lake has a lot of lilly pads and it is hard to stop a 4lb tench from getting in the pads let alone a 16lb carp I agree with you on this crazy stocking policy but has been done now,perhaps I will look for another crucian lake after the lock down

Mick
Chub

Post by Mick »

Such a shame. Another crucian water lost. I was given the impression more and more clubs were trying to keep their crucians pure bred. One course of action is to remove as many crucians as possible and place them in a carp free water. Absolutely absurd behaviour. :Angry:

RBTraditional
Catfish

Post by RBTraditional »

Olly wrote: Wed Apr 29, 2020 8:53 pm Sounds like they have totally knackered the water for tench & crucians!

Farnham AC try to remove all carp carp from their noted crucian carp waters - mostly to stop interbreeding.

Regrettably all 3 mixed together does not bode well for the more timid feeding species.
Totally agree with that Olly.... the crucians will soon disappear, what a shame clubs don’t follow fishery management guidelines... unfortunately it’s al about big carp these days!
" Angling is not an escape from life, but often a deeper immersion into it..."

https://thepiscatorialraconteurs.co.uk/

Hovis
Tench

Post by Hovis »

RBTraditional wrote: Wed Apr 29, 2020 9:29 pm
Olly wrote: Wed Apr 29, 2020 8:53 pm Sounds like they have totally knackered the water for tench & crucians!

Totally agree with that Olly.... the crucians will soon disappear, what a shame clubs don’t follow fishery management guidelines... unfortunately it’s al about big carp these days!
Quite the opposite RB. The humble crucian is enjoying a bit of a revival after years of decline. The EA crucian project with its partners has stocked many waters and many are doing well. Long live the crucian I say.

I do, however, totally agree with you regarding king carp
I have laid aside business, and gone a'fishing.

Izaak Walton

Olly
Wild Carp

Post by Olly »

Whilst having a revival crucians still need to be managed by the EA allowing them to be stocked into suitable non-king carp waters where they can thrive.

With king carp, F1s, etc being stocked into non-crucian waters we could lose them still.

It also appears to me UK crus are very different looking to the Continental ones!

Shimmer45
Minnow

Post by Shimmer45 »

ItchenRoach wrote: Wed Apr 29, 2020 9:16 pm thanks for the replies the lake has a lot of lilly pads and it is hard to stop a 4lb tench from getting in the pads let alone a 16lb carp I agree with you on this crazy stocking policy but has been done now,perhaps I will look for another crucian lake after the lock down
Would this be a water in Hampshire by any chance

Return to “Crucian (Carassius carassius)”