High water chub

This forum is for discussing chub.
Chevin Chaser
Dace

High water chub

Post by Chevin Chaser »

Here's one chub from yesterday's session. It's not my first in flood conditions. My PB was caught in a raging river and the water was as dark as chocolate, so I like to fish in those conditions as safely as I can. Its a good time to catch a specimen chub, so long as your bait presentation and rig is right. In flood water conditions I will still only use split shot, so when the Gt Ouse is up to it's highest, a 3SSG would be my maximum weight on my line to hold bottom.

I fish the edge all the time and that doesn't change in flood conditions. Anyway, there's so much to cover, so I'll keep my post short, but if you can, then try fishing for chub in high water, but do it safely and only on a river you know well. Chub will still be on the feed and the bigger girls will be scavenging those nearside banks.

IMG_20201031_154430_492.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by Chevin Chaser on Mon Nov 02, 2020 7:19 am, edited 1 time in total.
It is important to be aware that every fishing story...depends on the honesty of those telling it, the accuracy of their memory and the realibility of their interpretation of the circumstances.

Rotrax
Rudd

Re: High water chub

Post by Rotrax »

Nice fish!

My best Chub came from the Ock in Abingdon two days after the highest level. Still highly coloured but less flow and far safer to fish for a bloke with duff knees.

Well done.

Robbi
Tench

Post by Robbi »

Wow ! What weight would that be ?
"In the back roads by the rivers of my memory"

Liphook
Barbel

Post by Liphook »

Continuing to catch an amazing stamp of fish Vito! Top drawer chubing sir :Thumb:

Duckett
Tench

Post by Duckett »

Well done CC and some sound advice on safety.
From "... the wilds of the Wirral, whose wayward people both God and good men have quite given up on ...".

Dave Burr
Honorary Vice President

Post by Dave Burr »

A perfect specimen

Ian.R.McDonald
Chub

Post by Ian.R.McDonald »

Duckett wrote: Mon Nov 02, 2020 12:08 am Well done CC and some sound advice on safety.
Underlining the danger of flood, we lost a fisherman on a local river last winter

I think its us experienced anglers are most at risk because we think we are aware of the dangers

Keep safe!

BoltonBullfinch
Arctic Char

Post by BoltonBullfinch »

What a fish, beautiful....

Thanks
BB
'We fish a lot' Forrest Gump.

Chevin Chaser
Dace

Post by Chevin Chaser »

Ian, that's so true. Its the high undercut banks that give way, I always position myself well away and cast up or downstream from them.
It is important to be aware that every fishing story...depends on the honesty of those telling it, the accuracy of their memory and the realibility of their interpretation of the circumstances.

Mick
Chub

Post by Mick »

Well done Vito!! Another beautiful chub!

Return to “Chub (Leuciscus cephalus)”