Frustration came to a good ending

This forum is for discussing chub.
Chevin Chaser
Dace

Frustration came to a good ending

Post by Chevin Chaser »

A change of plan this morning, so I went out fishing from 10am. Yesterday's session I hit each bite accurately, well this morning my timing was hugely out. The chub were putting it on a plate for me but I just couldn't lock onto them. This continued through all seven swims and I was feeling rather frustrated. After our recent floods, the chub have definitely switched on and they want their food.

I got to my eighth swim, a shallow area lined with railway sleepers that were dumped in the river many years ago. As time went by, this area had formed a lovely raft. During my coffee, the sun was shining directly on me and the kingfishers were busy darting to and fro along the opposite line of trees. I began to think things over as to why I had missed so many bites, it's not my very simple rig, nor the hook size or bait, so I just put it down to wily chub.... of course, bloody devil's eh!! Well fishing is all a guess game really :Hair out:

I casted into the flow to allow my bait (cheddar cheese) to roll under the raft. It settled nicely, rod in hand I waited patiently. I didn't have to wait too long though. A small tremor on the tip, followed by a tiny pluck, then a decent pull, just like my previous bites that I'd missed. I lifted into the bite then all hell broke lose. I could feel the lock on, then two very good sized chub errupted to the surface. Bingo!

Cane in full hoop, I wind down hard to avoid the sleepers but I was too late. Bail arm off and I waited. I could feel her rooting around the bottom bed, then just like a crafty fox she began to slowly swim towards me along the margin, and in doing so my line started to slacken even more. I quickly wound in the excess line until we connected again, and then the battle re-commenced. I'm not too sure how long it took me to get her over the hoop, but it sure was great battle, chub being as stubborn as ever hugging the bottom bed trying to find another obstacle to snag you in. After a few more solid head bangs, and last minute dive attempts to cover, she soon tired and emerged to the surface. No matter how many chub you catch, it's always a great feeling when you see their huge wide open mouths, a sign of defeat almost. :surrender: And in she went.

6lb 15oz
PSX_20200306_124616_copy_800x604.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
It is important to be aware that every fishing story...depends on the honesty of those telling it, the accuracy of their memory and the realibility of their interpretation of the circumstances.

Pallenpool
Zander

Re: Frustration came to a good ending

Post by Pallenpool »

Fantastic.
:Hat:
No man ever steps in the same river twice, for it's not the same river and he's not the same man.

Heraclitus

www.thepiscatorialraconteurs.co.uk

Jeremy Croxall
Zander

Post by Jeremy Croxall »

Amazing! How do you do it!!
That's a fantastic fish, what's your chub PB?
Did you get it on a 500?
Looks like you're making the best of the closing days of the river season!
"Oh for want of rod and line I'd fish this stream serene, sublime".

Snape
Bailiff

Post by Snape »

Amazing! Well done, Vito. :)
“Fishing is much more than fish. It is the great occasion when we may return to the fine simplicity of our forefathers,” Herbert Hoover.
`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸ ><((((º>

Chevin Chaser
Dace

Post by Chevin Chaser »

Jeremy Croxall wrote: Fri Mar 06, 2020 6:19 pm Amazing! How do you do it!!
That's a fantastic fish, what's your chub PB?
Did you get it on a 500?
Looks like you're making the best of the closing days of the river season!
Jeremy thank you.

I spend a lot of time walking the stretches with my dogs scouting around. My chub come from areas that I've had to squeeze into. I tend to not fish those used, well trodden swims. It can be a struggle at times, but I enjoy that style of fishing. That's why I don't like rods over 11ft, I prefer 10ft if I'm honest.

No my 500 is currently being re-varnished, so I've used an Edgar Sealey medium ledger. My PB is 7lb 11oz, which is going to be hard to beat..... I think. This time of year I try to get out as much as I can around work and rest days, because I only fish rivers. I have serious withdrawal symptoms during the closed season. :Hahaha:

Return to “Chub (Leuciscus cephalus)”