Not long now

This forum is for discussing chub.
Chevin Chaser
Dace

Re: Not long now

Post by Chevin Chaser »

Troydog wrote: Tue Mar 10, 2020 9:28 pm Brilliant fishing CC ! It’s now or never, but we’ve got FIVE metres on here in Hereford. Four days to go....
I hope you can get out for a session or two. The Ouse was up 2ft today, hopefully it doesn't rise anymore.
It is important to be aware that every fishing story...depends on the honesty of those telling it, the accuracy of their memory and the realibility of their interpretation of the circumstances.

Troydog
Tench

Post by Troydog »

Thank you CC. We have three metres on at the moment but that is fishable, in a few places.....
Trouble is, the fish just don't read the books......
John Harding

Old Man River
Eel

Post by Old Man River »

I was really looking forward to getting out on the river today, but heavy rain and hail overnight have pushed the levels up nearly two meters, the temp has dropped,and there are really strong winds blowing , a combination that I dont really fancy at all. I dont think I will manage a visit before the season ends now.
Still , I know its not just me the weather effects, so keeping fingers crossed for a few hours on a dropping river with better conds if at all possible.
I took delivery of a rod a couple of days ago, it really needs a trip out 😋

OMR
Hurrumph....... whatever happened to Handlines ?

Troydog
Tench

Post by Troydog »

Go for it OMR - the weather is fine today....no wind, no rain....
Trouble is, the fish just don't read the books......
John Harding

Danesman
Silver Bream

Post by Danesman »

Best conditions all week for the Ivel. Manged a couple of chub upto 3.04 on Wednesday so well worth a couple of hours today !!

Liphook
Barbel

Post by Liphook »

Great chub as always CC :Hat:

Ian
Eel

Post by Ian »

Chevin Chaser wrote: Fri Mar 06, 2020 6:23 am The river season will soon be over and the Gt Ouse is finally fishable. Yesterday afternoon, after work, I popped down for a few hours. I used my sons Edgar Sealey medium ledger rod. Fantastic little rod it is too. Although the handle is little short, you soon get used to it. I play all my chub keeping the rod low and winding in slow and the Sealey copes with that superbly. 6lb 2oz, 5lb 4oz, 5lb 3oz.

IMG_20200305_191154_036.jpg

IMG_20200305_191154_038.jpg

IMG_20200305_191154_039.jpg
Stunning cc,what a treble.

I was fishing the river endrick last year and although I have never caught a chub from there,I saw a belter come to the surface and it looked as if I could have chucked a tennis ball down its throat.
The river runs into Loch Lomond,so I have a question for you.will chub move down a river and enter a loch or pond?the reason I’m asking is when I was fishing at the time(June)all the roach,bream,pike and perch were coming up to spawn.
I believe the endrick to be the most northerly river in Britain to hold chub and I never really hear about any catches.
Don’t cast doubt,cast out.

Chevin Chaser
Dace

Post by Chevin Chaser »

In the past I've caught the same chub a mile or so upstream. The futhest re-capture I've had was 2.5 miles away. It weighed 6lb when I first netted it, then just under two weeks later, fishing upstream 2.5 miles away I recaptured it at 6lb 4oz. They can travel that's for sure. Who really knows what goes on beneath the surface, and really most of the time its guess work. One thing for certain though is that I wouldn't doubt a chubs ability.
It is important to be aware that every fishing story...depends on the honesty of those telling it, the accuracy of their memory and the realibility of their interpretation of the circumstances.

Mick
Chub

Post by Mick »

Lovely fish CC! I too fish the Great Ouse, around Newport Pagnell, but I ain't in your league mister!!!

Return to “Chub (Leuciscus cephalus)”