Oops I've done it again!

This forum is for discussing chub.
Chevin Chaser
Dace

Oops I've done it again!

Post by Chevin Chaser »

The only bite today and a surprise catch. I'd fished eight swims without a touch before a I saw a nice crease that went under an overhanging willow tree. Before I commited myself to fish it, I wanted to see if I could at least cast a bait there without getting into too much trouble if I was to hook a fish. So leaving my rod, chair and rucksack on the grass, I quietly squeezed through numerous thick thorn bushes to get a better look. It was very tight, you couldn't swing a cat, but it looked too good to miss. I went back to retrieve just my rod and landing net, folding the net and putting it into my coat to not catch it onto any thorns. I attached my landing net and kneeled down. I gentle lobbed my bait by an underarm cast, just into the main flow, so the lead would bounce back into the crease and settle right under the tree.

I won't go into too much detail, but not so long afterwards the rod tip pulled hard to the right, a typical barbel bite. An immense dirty scrap commenced. I honestly thought it was a barbel, I was pretty sure of it and my legs started to buckle with excitement. When I did eventually see what was on the end of my line I was surprised and ecstatic because I just knew it was going to another PB. Panic stations arrived when I shipped out to land it, the net somehow tangled around the rim, tightly! Holding the tension on my rod as the fish was bucking away, I had to ship back in and with one hand try and untangle the net. Anyway I managed it and scooped her in.

I just couldn't believe what I was looking at. I unhooked her there and then and walked through the bushes, backwards taking all the brunt of the thorns protecting net and fish and got to my rucksack.

I measured her length and girth and took a few photos then walked to the open bank and rested her whilst I crouched down and thought to myself, 'I've only gone and bloody done it again!' Another PB and so soon after my 7lb 3oz. After resting her for 20 or so minutes I released her back and I watched her slowly swim back right under that same overhanging tree.

7lb 11oz :fishing1:
Chapmans 500
Mitchell 300 reel.
IMG_20200121_190610-829x684.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
It is important to be aware that every fishing story...depends on the honesty of those telling it, the accuracy of their memory and the realibility of their interpretation of the circumstances.

Pallenpool
Zander

Re: Oops I've done it again!

Post by Pallenpool »

What a fish - absolute cracker - I do love a big Chub, and you Sir seem to catch rather a lot of them :Thumb:

Peter
:Hat:
No man ever steps in the same river twice, for it's not the same river and he's not the same man.

Heraclitus

www.thepiscatorialraconteurs.co.uk

Barbulus
Tench

Post by Barbulus »

Amazing Chub; utterly fantastic and a great combination too.

Old Man River
Eel

Post by Old Man River »

Great achievement there ! Your gear seems exactly the right combination for the results . Spotting those tight swims is one thing , fishing them effectively and reaping the result is quite another.
Congratulations CC

OMR
Hurrumph....... whatever happened to Handlines ?

Silfield
Brown Trout

Post by Silfield »

The gods are smiling on you sir :clap:
What a fantastic fish, at this rate are we going to see an 8 pounder by February ?
“There is certainly something in angling that tends to produce a serenity of the mind.”
Washington Irving

Champ
Chub

Post by Champ »

Congratulations CC.Truly a stunning fish :Hat: .

ItchenRoach
Gudgeon

Post by ItchenRoach »

top angling cc lovely chub could be a bit bigger by the end of the season.

Mark
Head Bailiff

Post by Mark »

Well done CC.
Mark (Administrator)

The most precious places in the English landscape are those secretive corners,
where you find only elder trees, nettles and dreams. (BB - Denys Watkins-Pitchford).

Liphook
Barbel

Post by Liphook »

What a giant chub! Very well angled CC :wave:

Bobby Marlene
Arctic Char

Post by Bobby Marlene »

Fantastic!

Return to “Chub (Leuciscus cephalus)”