Cheese paste...

This forum is for discussing chub.
Slumption
Bleak

Cheese paste...

Post by Slumption »

I've never used cheese paste for chub, I have only used luncheon meat, worms or small cubes of cheddar...However on Sunday I'm going roving for Chubb with a friend. I could do with your top tips for cheese paste recipes!

Marc
Sea Trout

Re: Cheese paste...

Post by Marc »

My personal preference is Just roll pastry, Stilton & Parmesan with some garlic powder sprinkled in. Roll out the block of pastry to about the size of A4. Mix the cheese and garlic together then place it on the pastry as even as possible. Then book fold and roll, book fold and roll etc. If it’s too wet, then I add some flour to stiffen.

I’m not too fussy about the cheese. I’ll regularly put in any bits left in the fridge, but I do like Stilton and Parmesan. Smellier the better. I leave it in the fridge (well wrapped) for about a week to mature, then freeze what I don’t need into session sized lumps and use the rest.

Good luck, they love it.
Marc. (Prince of Durham)

“A life that partakes even a little of friendship, love, irony, humor, parenthood, literature, and music, and the chance to take part in battles for the liberation of others cannot be called 'meaningless'...”

Paul F
Sea Trout

Post by Paul F »

This is the most informative thread
viewtopic.php?f=87&t=15166

Mitchell324
Bleak

Post by Mitchell324 »

I have made this paste base for a number of years and added either a cheese of choice or ground meat like salami, chorizio, spam etc.
I'm not a fan of garlic it smells great to us humans but I'm not convinced fish get excited by it, though I do concede that people use it with success. If anyone has used a clove to catch a chub do let me know.

6 slices of white bread'
crusts removed broken up and soaked, then squeezed out through a clean t-towel.
1tbls dried milk powder
1tsp tumeric
plus flavour of choice
kneed until stiff.
After moulding it on the hook, place hook in water to stiffen up before casting.
It can also be made in large batches and frozen.
I'm going, I'm going, where the water tastes like wine, gonna jump in the river and stay drunk all the time.
(Allan Wilson-Canned Heat- "GOING UP THE COUNTRY")

Slumption
Bleak

Post by Slumption »

Great, thanks for the tips :)

I will try Marc's method for the cheese paste as I'd bought some pastry already. However I will also try Mitchell324's paste recipe as I have some tinned liver pate that is quite smelly and normally I've just mixed it in with bread paste. I'll post an update after the weekend!!!

OldAngler
Perch

Post by OldAngler »

My recipe, (not original), is Danish Blue cheese, broken up with a fork, and then mixed very thoroughly with roughly equal amounts of golden breadcrumbs,the ones you buy in a cardboard tub in supermarkets, (for coating fish prior to frying), until is fairly stiff. You can add other flavours if you wish but this works fine on its own.

Leave overnight in fridge to firm up. It can be frozen and defrosted repeatedly.

Good luck!
Old Angler

Slumption
Bleak

Post by Slumption »

Had a few knocks on the cheese but no chub. I'll give it another go next week though....their was a tip some where on the forum about melting the cheese in the microwave, whilst it made making the paste far easier it also made me gag a bit!

Luga00
Brown Trout

Post by Luga00 »

I melt it in a pan on my Jetboil on the patio. :Hat:

Return to “Chub (Leuciscus cephalus)”