Crayfish for chub

This forum is for discussing chub.
RBTraditional
Catfish

Re: Crayfish for chub

Post by RBTraditional »

I've seen crayfish tails for sale in Sainsburys (they are lovely with a bit of mustard and mayo relish) one presumes that these would also be out of bounds as bait? I remember many years back a certain well known carp angler using roe as bait (bought from a shop) and writing about it in Carpworld.....I understand he received a warning from the then NRA not to use it again........
" Angling is not an escape from life, but often a deeper immersion into it..."

https://thepiscatorialraconteurs.co.uk/

Burnie
Dace

Post by Burnie »

I'm still picking up on old threads here, but I think to start another thread on the same subject might be pointless.
During the 1970's the Royalty introduced a maggot ban and many regulars put their heads together and thought the locally sourced brown sand shrimps would make a perfect crayfish substitute for the Barbel. For whatever reason the Barbel didn't like them, but the Chub catches were superb, I had several over 5 pounds and that was in the days when their guts were infested with parasites, in top order I had Chub that may have nudged 7 pounds.

Fred
Grayling

Post by Fred »

I know you can't use Cray's as every one above has said, but if your looking for something a little different as bait
try using a small piece of Lamprey. I caught Chub on half a Lamprey meant for pike in the past.
And you wont get in trouble ether.
Fish come and go, but it is the memory of afternoons on the stream that endure

Return to “Chub (Leuciscus cephalus)”