A welcolm tinca

This forum is for discussing tench.
Riparian
Bleak

Re: A welcolm tinca

Post by Riparian »

Catfish.017 wrote: Sun May 19, 2019 7:48 am The pool is very old with deep layers of mud and silt.Norfolk reed and reedmace abound. I planted lilys some years ago. Patches of Potamegon and some soft weed too, so all in all a very food rich environment and it shows with the tench as they're all deep bodied and the Rudd too.
I had no idea there were any such places left...
"It is the most delicious form of idling known to me."

Catfish.017
Eel

Post by Catfish.017 »

Riparian wrote: Sat Jul 20, 2019 2:26 pm
Catfish.017 wrote: Sun May 19, 2019 7:48 am The pool is very old with deep layers of mud and silt.Norfolk reed and reedmace abound. I planted lilys some years ago. Patches of Potamegon and some soft weed too, so all in all a very food rich environment and it shows with the tench as they're all deep bodied and the Rudd too.
I had no idea there were any such places left...
I,m 65 this summer, lived all my life in the same general area but didn't discover this pool until 7 years ago! (Courtesy Google Earth) and it's right on the edge of a housing estate albeit well hidden by trees in summer but plain to see in winter. I've referred to it as The Secret Pool in other posts, there is a photo in one.

Riparian
Bleak

Post by Riparian »

We're of very similar vintage, then. I live in the fens where pools and ponds are very scarce, but we do have many miles of fen drains which are little fished in comparison to days gone by. Tench are one of my favourites. Here's a picture of one taken last week using a Wizard and an Alcocks centre pin; weight 4lbs 8ozs.

Catfish.017
Eel

Post by Catfish.017 »

Riparian wrote: Sat Jul 20, 2019 3:16 pm We're of very similar vintage, then. I live in the fens where pools and ponds are very scarce, but we do have many miles of fen drains which are little fished in comparison to days gone by. Tench are one of my favourites. Here's a picture of one taken last week using a Wizard and an Alcocks centre pin; weight 4lbs 8ozs.

That's a nice Tench too. I quite fancy the idea of having miles of drain at my disposal, though if our local disused canal is typical, the fish can be difficult to pin down. That said, the Angling press often has pictures of good catches from the Fens, particularly Rudd.

Riparian
Bleak

Post by Riparian »

You're right about the importance of location on drains - they do pose their own set of problems. I'm currently fishing the Forty Foot in the Chatteris area. It's alive with fish which is excellent, but to catch the tench, of even just to improve the chances, one needs to put some bait in for a couple of nights before fishing. I've been doing this but am suffering the curse of bubbling fish and no proper bites - not for the first time in my career!

The good rudd, say 11/2lbs plus are even more elusive. Many banks are inaccessible and I think one needs a boat, to be honest.

Catfish.017
Eel

Post by Catfish.017 »

Riparian wrote: Sat Jul 20, 2019 9:24 pm You're right about the importance of location on drains - they do pose their own set of problems. I'm currently fishing the Forty Foot in the Chatteris area. It's alive with fish which is excellent, but to catch the tench, of even just to improve the chances, one needs to put some bait in for a couple of nights before fishing. I've been doing this but am suffering the curse of bubbling fish and no proper bites - not for the first time in my career!

The good rudd, say 11/2lbs plus are even more elusive. Many banks are inaccessible and I think one needs a boat, to be honest.
Yes the 'bubblers' can be quite exasperating, particularly when you've got up at some ungodly hour and then get your first and only fish four hours later! I think what the 'moderns' term a critically balanced bait can make a difference on these occasions but more and more I feel it's some vagarie of the weather that's to blame. This season particularly has been especially trying.

Return to “Tench (Tinca tinca)”