Where to look for river tench?

This forum is for discussing tench.
Duebel
Rainbow Trout

Where to look for river tench?

Post by Duebel »

I dream of catching my first tench. There are tench in my local river but I'm not quite sure where to look for them.

A backwater like that would be an obvious choice of course. But it's very shallow, maybe 2 or 3 ft deep, and in summer it's completely in the shadow of the big trees.

What features would you look for and what tactics would you chose to specifically target river tench. I'd really like to avoid the many carp and prussian carp that are around.

Every little help will be very much appreciated, gentlemen!
Greetings from Bamberg
Martin

Dave Burr
Honorary Vice President

Re: Where to look for river tench?

Post by Dave Burr »

You could locate them by feeding a few areas with hemp and corn. Tench bubbles are very small and seem to fizz to the surface, they are very different to carp so identifying their preferred areas should soon be achieved. I've caught river tench and found they tend to stick to the margins in general but having said that, I had one on the Bristol Avon that was in the main flow of the fastest part of the river.

OldTackle
Arctic Char

Post by OldTackle »

I'd try just where this backwater meets the stream. Apart from that any region where the flow is slowed down by any feature to accumulate silt. In my case for example I fish a spot where large carrier ships do turn. Besides a lot of silt is accumulated and just in the late afternoon the tench are obliging each time. Sensitive tackle is needed as well as an absolute static bait. Search for a spot where you have the least of flow. Take a sensitive float and not too far out. Silence is the key too. I do use maggots along with gingerbread foot along with additional maggots. Of course you cannot totally avoid the carp. Try late evening hours Martin.
< °) >>><( Christopher )><<< (° >

Santiago
Wild Carp

Post by Santiago »

I've caught several tench from the Thames and most were from the middle, but nearly all were caught after dark or are dusk. Best method I found was feeder fishing with corn on the hook over a bed of hemp. All were from slower parts of about 10 to 12' deep. Best I had was two in one night.
"....he felt the gentle touch on the line and he was happy"

Hemingway

Shed_Monkey
Grayling

Post by Shed_Monkey »

Generally speaking the river tench I have caught have come from slower, deeper stretches - undercut banks have been productive and areas with some cover.

Mario
Eel

Post by Mario »

id try slow deep rivers

MaggotDrowner
Zander

Post by MaggotDrowner »

Going against the general consensus of members I would not rule out shallow water. Far from it. I have been fortunate to catch a large number of river tench, some of a very nice size of 5 lb +, all from very shallow waters of no more than 2 1/2 ft. These captures have mostly been on hot, sunny days and mostly early into the start of a new British river season (Mid to late June). The fish are likely attracted to the swim in question because the shallow water heats up very quickly. Dip your hand into this water and it feels so much warmer than the deeper part of the main river.

Agreeing more with fellow members the swim I fish for river tench is also very slow. The swim is a still area connected to the river via a relatively small inlet. There is a flow or drift, but it isn't like that of a river. It's slower, sometimes it goes inwards of the pool and sometimes out and changes direction frequently. It's an unusual spot, but very productive.

I have written about some of my river tench captures in the following threads on the TFF:

viewtopic.php?f=77&t=13506

viewtopic.php?f=337&t=18080

viewtopic.php?f=337&t=21612

River tench are not all that common and are more classically considered a species of still waters. If you want to catch your first you may have a better chance in a still water. If you want the challenge of a river tench why not ask around for advice from fellow anglers and in tackle shops. Good luck!
"I'd rather be fishing!"

MD

Duebel
Rainbow Trout

Post by Duebel »

Thank you, chaps! There's already been a lot of advice for me to consider.
I know fishing in a still water would raise my chances to catch a tench very much, but I've only ever fished in a river all my angling life and I won't change that for any reason.
I know a few spots where tench have been caught before but they aren't common at all and no one I know of specifically targets tench around here. I guess I will have to catch a lot of carp before I might connect to a tench.

Is there any bait, that tench like and carp might ignore?
I hope the carp will be put off by the sight of my tench float.
Greetings from Bamberg
Martin

OldTackle
Arctic Char

Post by OldTackle »

Hi Martin,
your float looks spot on and will do the job perfectly if it will rise by a single small shot that is lifted by the tench. I would do the following:
Go to a spot where you know tench have been caught before. Decide for the evening hours of a warm, sunny day at best. Make up your tackle in a way casting out and getting your float in until just the single small shot rests on the bottom. Ideally your float will be balanced with all of the white segments under water. The tench will lift it and that's how to recognize its bite the easiest. Then bait your swim and wait. Keep your float out of the water until you realize the fine bubbles already described before. Now it's your time to carefully get out your hook. I would be very surprised if you won't catch your first tench instantly. Your ground-bait mixed with maggots and maggots on the hook would be my choice (and I caught a lot of river tench by doing just that). Just one more thing - your ground bait should be ideally dark. If not just mix some soil in.
< °) >>><( Christopher )><<< (° >

Dave Burr
Honorary Vice President

Post by Dave Burr »

Is there any bait, that tench like and carp might ignore?

Short answer - No.

Return to “Tench (Tinca tinca)”