Size doesn't matter.

This forum is for discussing tench.
Vole
Rainbow Trout

Re: Size doesn't matter.

Post by Vole »

Like bars of soap with a strop on, those little tench. Love 'em to bits!

"Daffy" - that's got me beaten - Daffy duck? Daffy-dill? Neither of those rhymes with a number that I can think of...
"Write drunk, edit sober" - Hemingway.
Hemingway didn't have to worry about accidentally hitting "submit" before he edited.

Fredline
Tench

Post by Fredline »

"Daffy" meaning lots. It was a word my father in law used, an east end colloquialism.
If you have no grease with you, and your rings are full of ice, do not cut out the ice with a pen-knife but get your man to put the rings one by one in his mouth, and so to thaw the ice.
John Bickerdyke.

Reedling
Catfish

Post by Reedling »

Very nice Fredline, I do love catching Tench, no matter what the size they always give a good account of themselves and are a joy to view once out of the water. Just as an aside... Daffy to me is also East London related, Daffy's Elixir was a quack type cure sold from a premises at Bow Churchyard by Dicey and Co, it goes back to the 1600's originally.

Vole
Rainbow Trout

Post by Vole »

http://www.pharmaceutical-journal.com/o ... 99.article

Amazing what you find out when things wobble off topic.
I doubt I'd have had the nerve to by an elixir from a firm called "Dicey", but it seems to have been good stuff.
Thank you both!
"Write drunk, edit sober" - Hemingway.
Hemingway didn't have to worry about accidentally hitting "submit" before he edited.

Lea Dweller
Pike

Post by Lea Dweller »

Fredline wrote:"Daffy" meaning lots. It was a word my father in law used, an east end colloquialism.
My father used the word "cotchell" to describe a collection or handful of anything, another odd word, not sure if the spelling is right, let alone how it originated?

AshbyCut
Honorary President

Post by AshbyCut »

Lea Dweller wrote: My father used the word "cotchell" to describe a collection or handful of anything, another odd word, not sure if the spelling is right, let alone how it originated?
I believe that it's "cotchel," defined in the OED as "a portion (of grain, etc.) left in a sack or bag; a small remnant of a larger quantity." Origin unknown. Labelled as "local" for derivation.
"Beside the water I discovered (or maybe rediscovered) the quiet. The sort of quiet that allows one to be woven into the tapestry of nature instead of merely standing next to it." Estaban.

Lea Dweller
Pike

Post by Lea Dweller »

Thank you sir, I am pleased to have an answer, I have not heard the word used for many years, I suspect that many such words have gone forever!

AshbyCut
Honorary President

Post by AshbyCut »

Lea Dweller wrote:Thank you sir, I am pleased to have an answer, I have not heard the word used for many years, I suspect that many such words have gone forever!
Not forever, Sir. There are those of us, like Mrs. AC and I, who delight in the use of words from our past ... like one of our favourites 'to fossick' ... apparently from the Antipodes, but derived from the Old English 'to ferret about' or 'rummage.'
"Beside the water I discovered (or maybe rediscovered) the quiet. The sort of quiet that allows one to be woven into the tapestry of nature instead of merely standing next to it." Estaban.

Rutland Rod
Arctic Char

Post by Rutland Rod »

Well done Fred, the fish has that lovely tenchy colour and that big fat tail, the seemingly common double figure tench started off like yours
Tight lines Dave

Trilob
Chub

Post by Trilob »

stunner!

Return to “Tench (Tinca tinca)”