Resilience

This forum is for discussing tench.
Aquaerial
Chub

Resilience

Post by Aquaerial »

Its been said before but it continues to amaze me how tough Tench are. I caught this one last night that looks as if it has had a recent encounter with a Heron- it still gave a fair account of itself and is the smallest Tench I have seen at the lake.
Tench Heron.jpg
The Bream continue to show despite some spawning activity..
Bream08.06.15.jpg
And this little chap turned up just as dusk fell (please forgive telephone pictures)
The first 'Fudgie' I have seen there..quite a character.
Fudge Duck.jpg
All in all another pleasant and fulfilling evening.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Aquaerial
But Oz never did give nothing to the Tin Man
That he didn't, didn't already have

Dave Burr
Honorary Vice President

Re: Resilience

Post by Dave Burr »

I had to look that one up Aquearial, quite the rarity.

Aquaerial
Chub

Post by Aquaerial »

Well spotted Dave...I was casual about it to see who would pick it up and lend a view. To be frank I'm not that knowledgeable on these less common fowl.
The Ferruginous Duck, depending on what website you read, is only sighted 5-10 times a year in the UK.
Just peeved I never had a camera only my phone...going back tonight to see if it reappears and to see if its a pure bred as they are a type of Pochard as I understand.
Aquaerial

Reedling
Catfish

Post by Reedling »

It looks like the rare one to me, light eye and light patch? near rear. :Thumb:

Wallys-Cast
Pike

Post by Wallys-Cast »

I thought it was a female tufted duck. I have been tormented by a pair recently, diving down and nicking my bait. They love sweetcorn..

Wal.

Dave Burr
Honorary Vice President

Post by Dave Burr »

I wouldn't like to comment on it from the phone picture only. But if it is a Ferruginous duck then its a sighting that would cause ripples in the world of twitchers.

I've just checked Birdnet and there don't appear to be any recent reports on there.

Aquaerial
Chub

Post by Aquaerial »

Its difficult to tell I agree but when it landed it had those very defined white wing feathers and a white rump. I checked with the BTO in Thetford, local to me, and they said there had been a regular sighting at Lakenheath by one of their guys. Apparently, they are usually escapees from collections. I'm taking my bins and a proper camera over tonight to have a proper look.
Aquaerial

Phil Arnott
Crucian Carp

Post by Phil Arnott »

My first reaction was a Scaup which has the white patch at the top of the beak. However there is also a variation in Tufted Ducks which is described as Scaup-faced.

Just to confuse the issue further Scaup and Tufties do sometimes hybridise.

Northern_Nomad
Arctic Char

Post by Northern_Nomad »

A Ferruless duck :Confused:

Whatever next?
"We knelt side by side looking at it. I knew it was big, and suddenly it dawned on me it was more than that. It was tremendous!" - Richard Walker

Aquaerial
Chub

Post by Aquaerial »

Phil Arnott wrote:My first reaction was a Scaup which has the white patch at the top of the beak. However there is also a variation in Tufted Ducks which is described as Scaup-faced.

Just to confuse the issue further Scaup and Tufties do sometimes hybridise.
No sign last night despite my patience but this does help as it would account for the white bits on the rump and around the bill...we'll never know now I suspect as what is missed is mystery...interesting that one has been seen locally though.
On another note our coots disappeared from the lake several years ago apparently and despite them being on pits not 500m away across the river they have never returned. We have plenty of water hens but no coots...any thoughts?
Aquaerial

Return to “Tench (Tinca tinca)”