POND RUDD RIP

This forum is for discussing rudd.
TraditionalAngling
Brown Trout

POND RUDD RIP

Post by TraditionalAngling »

Just lost my 13 year old Rudd from my Garden pond as you will see from the pic it was a good 12inch long .Never caught one that big most of my smaller sized rudd did not see the last. winter out.All came from a local gardening centre that was have a clear out of there pool.The carp I have are getting to the 3lb mark so I will be finding them a new home soon.Common,Ghost and 3 very dark carp that came from a local pond that was been filled in.Also have a fantail gold fish that will be staying that is 20 years old will be leaving the smaller fish in the pond.Pond has not been pumped out few a few years now it will be interesting what fish I may find.

Gary Bills
Rainbow Trout

Re: POND RUDD RIP

Post by Gary Bills »

Sorry to hear about your loss, TA, - that's a good age for a rudd, I think; - I wonder how old they can go as a maximum? The age of fish interests me, in that scale and operculum readings only show how long it took for the adult skeleton to form. Because of this, for years, the maximum age of carp was underestimated, of course. I'll stick my neck out and say that other species, especially pike, can attain great ages too. As with carp, there are legends of pike living to incredible ages... unless, of course, they get fatty livers in trout reservoirs! Back to rudd -, no, I don't think I've caught one quite that big; but I did have a big one once from an Irish river in the Nineties - the last of a catch of 13. Didn't weigh it. We were "in the sticks" and, what surprised us, was the lack of curiousity among the locals, concerning coarse fish. They were only "into" trout, salmon and eels.
So, there I was, using stick float and maggots, when a chap approached me, and asked me what I was catching. He explained that he usually fished the river for eels.
"They're rudd," I said.
"Ah rudd," he replied... "Can you eat 'em?"
Apparently, that was the first time he'd seen one...

Return to “Rudd (Scardinius erythrophthalmus)”