Help with a really big rudd

This forum is for discussing rudd.
Hovis
Tench

Help with a really big rudd

Post by Hovis »

Chaps,

I've caught rudd in the past, probably 1000's of them, but alas, never a REALLY big one. I'm casting my mind forward to those endless days of summer and I'm looking for a venue to catch a big fish of 2lb+. Location isn't a problem as I can travel without issue. Any suggestions of credible leads? Rather than just walking the Fens like a mad man.
I have laid aside business, and gone a'fishing.

Izaak Walton

Barbelseeker
Brown Trout

Re: Help with a really big rudd

Post by Barbelseeker »

Used to be an large Irrigation Pond within Nottinghamshire I fished 40 years ago. It held big Rudd to nearly 2.5lb and large perch to about 4lb. One perch I caught practically covered my fishing basket top. When bringing it in, I thought it was initially a big bream, it was that big. One of the locals got us all thrown off. It was free fishing, but a pint if the farmer caught us in the pub. Beer then would be about 5/- a pint. He would - the farmer - drive to the pub in his tractor, with his wife cheerfully holding onto him in the cab - getting back was a different matter.

Anyhow, the farmer had a man from Sheffield bang at his door, "Can I have a ticket to fish the water, cannot get one from Derek, he isn't in". It transpired that Derek from the same village was charging people £2 per day and saying nothing to the farmer.

Whilst the pond is still there - it has been changed to a Carp syndicate water and from sources close to the pond - all the Rudd have been bullied out.

Must admit I do know a few more irrigation ponds - will have to get me "Asking" hat on after this COVID mess. Good job most of my uncles were farmers.

Penninelad
Arctic Char

Post by Penninelad »

What about a trip to Ireland .I know that a number of lakes near my house in County Clare have produced plenty of huge Rudd and specimen tench.I fly fish two lakes nearby.I have had Rudd over 2lbs on wet flys on Ballilackan lake near Inagh and once had 17 Rudd in one session many of them specimens on Lickeen lake near Kikfenora,again on a team of wet flies fishing for trout. had a bit of fun as I was fishing a team of three flies and hooked up two then three at once! There are numerous other lakes but most of them need a boat to be able to fish.Its too much trouble to bring my boat down from Lough Corrib so most of my coarse fishing is for pike in the winter.The Grand & Royal Canals also hold big Rudd and tench.Miles and miles of free fishing between Dublin and The Shannon.Send me a PM as I may be able to assist with accommodation in County Clare.
Mark Davies

Olly
Wild Carp

Post by Olly »

Have a look at James Denison's Blogspot - he has caught a few 2+s.

Dave Burr
Honorary Vice President

Post by Dave Burr »

Big rudd are a big ask Hovis, they tend to take a lot of finding. some gravel pits hold proper fish but you need to search and search to locate the shoals and avoid the other anglers. Once found they are quite easy to catch - apparently.

I would suggest searching canals too. My biggest at 2.3 came from the river Tone but had undoubtably transferred itself from the Taunton to Bridgewater canal when the lock gate collapsed. I've seen a few decent ones along there in it's clear water. Likewise the King Sedgemoor Drain used to have a good head of rudd - but I haven't fished for them for many years.

I wish you luck on your quest.

Olly
Wild Carp

Post by Olly »

I was fortunate to have a local lake that produced rudd to 3.15 - - I was unlucky never to catch one over 1lb! Gone now forever - shame.

Frensham Ponds have them to over 3 but not every year it seems.

Pallenpool
Zander

Post by Pallenpool »

As Dave has pointed out Big Rudd is a big ask - even if you locate your water, you have to find them, I would say you need peace and quiet when after large Rudd and some time working out were the big fish reside - one of my favourite pools has Rudd to over 3lb they are stunning fish to see - have I ever caught one? no - in all the years I have fished this place my best are around the 1lb + mark - and a 1lb fish is not an every day occurrence - in fact my best Rudd from this water was last year and I was targeting Tench here’s the picture that I posted last season. If you are ever in Norfolk drop me a line and I can get you on the water. I wish you luck.

No man ever steps in the same river twice, for it's not the same river and he's not the same man.

Heraclitus

www.thepiscatorialraconteurs.co.uk

Snape
Bailiff

Post by Snape »

You could book a few days at Ashmead to fish for the rudd instead of the carp. There are plenty of 2lb'ers in the there and the biggest caught is over 3lb.
“Fishing is much more than fish. It is the great occasion when we may return to the fine simplicity of our forefathers,” Herbert Hoover.
`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸ ><((((º>

DaceAce
Eel

Post by DaceAce »

Locally in Dorset I've had thousands of small rudd but the big ones have either been when some were netted from Kingfisher lake in Ringwood and placed elsewhere such as Somerley Lakes where I had them to 1-14 (others had them over 2lbs; long gone and syndicate now), or one or two flukes from the tidal Dorset Frome where my best one of 2-9 came from many years ago - it seems to have been accompanying a shoal of big roach - the same swim had produced my at the time previous best of 1-12. The Fens do seem the best bet but location is the key and they're often easiest first light or at dusk. They don't like noise either.

Bob Brookes
Zander

Post by Bob Brookes »

Snape wrote: Sun May 24, 2020 2:01 pm You could book a few days at Ashmead to fish for the rudd instead of the carp. There are plenty of 2lb'ers in the there and the biggest caught is over 3lb.
This one from Ashmead a couple of years ago was probably my biggest. I was certainly over 2lb. However, I never weighed it as I was roving round and never had my scales with me.

"You do not cease to fish because you get old, you get old because you cease to fish"

Return to “Rudd (Scardinius erythrophthalmus)”