Red and Gold

This forum is for discussing rudd.
Snape
Bailiff

Re: Red and Gold

Post by Snape »

gaztheangler wrote:My building is old and large and nearby.
Gaz
GOS and gaz - Hmm wonder where that could be?
Very interesting.....
“Fishing is much more than fish. It is the great occasion when we may return to the fine simplicity of our forefathers,” Herbert Hoover.
`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸ ><((((º>

GazTheAngler

Post by GazTheAngler »

My dear Meeshter Snape, if I told you i'd have to...etc etc, no v dull really.

Gaz

Luke
Grayling

Post by Luke »

I was born and brought up in Northamptonshire and used to fish a superb rudd water. Pound plus fish were an everyday catch with plenty of 2lbers thrown in for good measure and my biggest was just a touch over 3lbs. A small reed-lined, lily-covered pool with crystal clear water and one of the few waters in the area to contain no carp. I'm sure this is what allowed the rudd to thrive as much as they did.

I moved away from the area around 13 years ago and have since heard that the lake was stocked with carp. The carp were apparently diseased and the place suffered a huge decline. It would be a shame if that was true, it was a little piece of heaven.

GazTheAngler

Post by GazTheAngler »

I wish I could find a local water with decent Rudd in it.

I know lots of little ponds which I fish but all the Rudd are small, nicely coloured some of them but only a few ounces.

Luke it would be a shame if you old Rudd water had suffered and I just wish people would stop stocking carp just because they think they are all people want to fish for.

Gaz

Julian
Salmon

Post by Julian »

In North Bucks, Bedfordshire and parts of Cambridgeshire there are a lot of claypits
which mostly were originally dug by the London Brick Company.
Some of these are a few acres and some up to 200 acres or more. Their common characteristics are
that most of them are deep - 20 feet to 70 feet or even more, have very gin-clear water which looks very blue whenever the sun is shining, and have rich weed growth to considerable depths.
This tends to give high quality water - ideal for rudd - and a lot of these pits are or were renowned for having some very large rudd. Some of them also have a low number of very large old carp in them.
These pits are usually rated as as difficult fisheries - partly because of depth and size, and over the years quite a number have been lost to angling, but if you are serious about wanting to catch big rudd then I suspect some of these really do still have some exceptioal sizes rudd in them. Some of them are still on club permits.
The ones that come to mind fairly local to me are those on the Bucks/Beds border which are controlled by Ampthill angling club - one of theirs is Brogborough pit - its 240 acres, and anotherof theirs is Marston Pit about 7 acres.

On and off for many years I used to fish Jubilee Pit ( a 7 acre claypit - 60 feet deep) in South Miton Kyenes area- and rudd to around 3.5 lb were caught on various occasions, my best was 2lb 4oz but I did have one slip the hook on the surface that would have been well over 3lbs. Sadly the pit has been closed for to fishing for the last 5 years while a massive housing estate is built on the site - and right up to and around the pit.
Another 10 acre pit nearby was given up by the local club as there were too many incidents of car vandalism, mugging, tackle thefts ,etc - and its therefore now seen to be a no-go place for anglers even though you can fish it for free. It has very good tench in it and a few deades back there was talk of record rudd being seen or even caught.
There is no peace on earth like the peace of fishing in the early mornings

Watermole+
Chub

Post by Watermole+ »

For those not familiar with the geography of South Devon, there is a large area to the east named 'Start bay' and one of the places there is called Torcross; a gently curved, steeply sloping beach of graduated shingle.
The road follows the shoreline closely from Torcross to Slapton village, a mile or so up the coast and amazingly, immediately on the opposite side of the road is a long freshwater lagoon called Slapton Ley. This is a designated nature reserve now, with no waterside access because of the extensive reedy margins, except by boat from the Lodge at Slapton. The Ley contains numerous large pike to 30lbs. probably much bigger if the truth were known, but also it is noted for its large rudd. I have fished here in the past for both species and seen pike of 20+ caught on legered herring deadbait (which for some reason, works better than floated baits) but the best way of catching rudd is with the fly rod. Most specimen hunters use flake to attract a shoal, then fish fly on the edge of them, where the better ones are found. They do not seem fussy as to what fly you use, but weighted nymphs seem to catch consistently.. Fish of 2-3lbs are regularly taken and there are certainly far greater ones there.

My late aunt used to have two fishing cottages at Torcross, near 'The Start Bay Inn' and I remember holidaying there as a boy and going bass and black bream fishing. During the War, the whole village was forcibly evacuated and taken over by the American forces, where it was used for 'Excercise Tiger', a dreadfully ill-fated rehearsal for the 'D-Day' landings of 6th June 1944. During the practice, much live ammunition was fired from ship to shore, many of the shells landing in the lake and it was said that many fish, including rudd of record breaking proportions were found dead afterwards, though I cannot substantiate this, but have heard that the Ley was never the same afterwards.
When the war ended and we were allowed to return to the cottage, the Americans had left it in a terrible state with much graffiti on the walls; but we let that remain as a reminder of their sacrifice later on 'Omaha' beach in Normandy. We used to sneak through the reeds and fish (quite illegally!) for pike with a spinning rod. My late uncle was a driver for The Western National Omnibus Co. and would carry a rod in his cab for when he was on the Torcross run. (There was a time-point there and sometimes the 'bus would have to wait for an hour or more before the return trip). Once, he caught a 10 pounder, wrapped it in paper and took it home in the driver's cab!! (Remember that food was still on ration then).

Have not been back there for some time now but as far as I know, you can still get fishing day tickets for about £5, plus extra for boat, from The Lodge at Slapton, but they are very strictly controlled and limited so advance booking and arrangements for oar collection is essential.

Hope this is of some interest..

With usual regards,

wm+
Last edited by Watermole+ on Wed Apr 18, 2012 7:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.

"Are not two sparrows sold for a farthing? Yet one of them shall not fall without your Father knoweth" ..Jesus of Nazareth, King James AV

Davyr

Post by Davyr »

watermole+ wrote: Have not been back there for some time now
In which case, you may be in for a surprise if you visit on a sunny day and take a wrong turning:

http://www.bn.org.uk/beaches/beaches_de ... each_ID=49

:sun:

GazTheAngler

Post by GazTheAngler »

I went over St James Park for a fish spot lunch time.

By the bridge was a large shoal of Rudd and Perch with some shoal members heading for the 1lb mark.

I also saw 8 carp from about 4 - 9lbs, a lovely carp that must have been late teens early 20's and a mouse mat sized terrapin. I might be out on my carp guesstimates, but there is a carp in there over 30lbs.

Gaz

JerryC
Crucian Carp

Post by JerryC »

There is also a rarer version, the yellow fin rudd, again the form of some genetic defect as per the golden.
If you understand what you’re doing, you’re not learning anything...........

Rutilus Eye

Post by Rutilus Eye »

I caught my best ever Rudd - a brace of fish weighing 1Ib 8oz and 1Ib 9oz, in consecutive casts from what is now part of the St Ives Pits, back in the late 70s when i was about 14 years old. It was the most magical ten minutes of fishing i have ever had.

On reading this thread and others like it, why has the EA allowed stocking of carp into waters which supported important Rudd, Tench etc fisheries?. Such places are now so rare as a result.

I also remember fishing a club match at Rye Nook in the early 1980s - catching 57Ib of Rudd averaging 6-8oz in about 6 hrs or so. In a short space of time the lake built up a reputation for the outrageous stock of Rudd it contained - and who knows what else in terms of specimen fish (not targeted in a club trip). But when i now research the place, which is a day ticket water, all i read about is the carp it contains - like most club websites too for that matter.

Return to “Rudd (Scardinius erythrophthalmus)”