Baits for BIG rudd

This forum is for discussing rudd.
Slumption
Bleak

Re: Baits for BIG rudd

Post by Slumption »

Sweetcorn or sweetcorn worm cocktail seem to work well if the water isn't pressured....Tonight I had an evening / night session and caught a 3lb rudd on a corn/worm cocktail over a bed of casters, I just legered close to some pads in the margins. This was on a small slow flowing fenland river (river Lark). I just don't know which bait it preferred! I packed up after catching it as for me that was a fish of a life time. I was actually after tench and bream so was over the moon when what looked like a small tench turned out to be a massive rudd. All the rudd I'd caught before have been on a float at either half depth or on the drop so to get a massive one legering was a surprise. I can recommend two rivers near Cambridge that produce big rudd.

Dave Burr
Honorary Vice President

Post by Dave Burr »

A 3lb rudd :shocked: The stuff of dreams :Sun:

Well done Slumption, any pictures?

Snape
Bailiff

Post by Snape »

I'm glad this thread got bumped as a number of us are fishing Ashmead in a couple of weeks which holds some large rudd and I intend to have a go for them so it is good to get some ideas. :Hat:

On the subject of recording fish. I would say "each to his own". There are plenty of anglers who only fish for the pleasure and experience and the size of the individual fish is of no consequence. A chap I used to work with (ex-England rugby player) doesn't own any scales and would never take a camera. He enjoys the captures and has had some whoppers from what I understand but has no interest in recording them. I would like to emulate this, but the urge to weigh fish to just too ingrained in me. In other countries it all about length and girth and anglers would pour scorn on us for only weighing them...
“Fishing is much more than fish. It is the great occasion when we may return to the fine simplicity of our forefathers,” Herbert Hoover.
`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸ ><((((º>

Carp Artist
Arctic Char

Post by Carp Artist »

Hi Snape, I've always found sweet corn fished on the drop sorts out the larger specimens.
Not a fish was visible that first time I visited Beechmere; an utter
stillness brooded over the place and I felt the strange and sinister atmosphere which, so the story goes,
has been the cause of several suicides.’
BB – Confessions of a Carp Fisher

Snape
Bailiff

Post by Snape »

Carp Artist wrote: Fri Jul 28, 2017 10:21 am Hi Snape, I've always found sweet corn fished on the drop sorts out the larger specimens.
Thanks. :Hat:
“Fishing is much more than fish. It is the great occasion when we may return to the fine simplicity of our forefathers,” Herbert Hoover.
`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸ ><((((º>

Olly
Wild Carp

Post by Olly »

Big rudd have fallen to cockles ledgered in the dark.

The late Frank Guttfield had quite a few over the 3lb mark. The best from the club water he fished was 3lb 14oz.

I currently fish a water that has both 3lb roach and rudd - both have been taken on 15mm boilies by carpers.

Slumption
Bleak

Post by Slumption »

Dave Burr wrote: Fri Jul 28, 2017 9:29 am A 3lb rudd :shocked: The stuff of dreams :Sun:

Well done Slumption, any pictures?

Yeh one but its not that great, flash wouldn't work and then I was sticking my tongue out as I didn't realise Simon had taken the picture....so just to confirm I don't usually look like this! We decided to just pop him back rather than mess about taking more pics.

In the net it just looked like a massive bar of gold certainly something I won't forget.
megasprat2.png
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Dave Burr
Honorary Vice President

Post by Dave Burr »

Sorry I asked now :tea:

:Hahaha: Great fish.

Slumption
Bleak

Post by Slumption »

Yeh I really need to practice my photos a bit more...I would hope a few more big rudd come my way so maybe I'll get a better chance. For those of you in the Cambridge/Suffolk area the river it came from was the Lark, the Waterbeach section of the Cam is also renowned for big rudd.

JAA

Post by JAA »

Snape wrote: Fri Jul 28, 2017 10:24 am
Carp Artist wrote: Fri Jul 28, 2017 10:21 am Hi Snape, I've always found sweet corn fished on the drop sorts out the larger specimens.
Thanks. :Hat:
Try cooked macaroni as well.

Return to “Rudd (Scardinius erythrophthalmus)”