Roach

This forum is for discussing roach.
Olly
Wild Carp

Re: Roach

Post by Olly »

Mag & wag seems to have been making a comeback! The "Wag" being loaded with very little, if any, shot on the line. The "Mag" sinking naturally in the flow.

Big river roach seem to be holding up in areas where there is a very active bailiff/angler/human presence - Britford comes to mind + keepered trout/salmon rivers.

Moley
Brown Trout

Post by Moley »

Olly wrote:Mag & wag seems to have been making a comeback! The "Wag" being loaded with very little, if any, shot on the line. The "Mag" sinking naturally in the flow.

Big river roach seem to be holding up in areas where there is a very active bailiff/angler/human presence - Britford comes to mind + keepered trout/salmon rivers.
I'm truly delighted that Mag&Wag has become fashionable again, just so the skill levels to get the presentation right make for better anglers in the long term :Hat:

I used to travel up to the Trent, back in the day, just to watch and marvel at the masters fish up to five rod lengths out with such control, even holding back the float without it sinking. If you have ever tried to do this, you will appreciate the skills demonstrated by the likes of John Dean, Pete Thomas, et al. :Thumb:

The Stick is easier to fish, in my opinion, especially so when combined with a good 'pin close in. However, it is also a delight to watch a skilled angler fish in this way too......they just seem to have a fluidity that mere mortals can not match; no matter how I try :surrender:

Big river roach have got that way by being a little bit cleverer than their kin, who didn't make it, so moving to areas with a human presence makes complete sense because the predators, such as Cormorants or the newly re-introduced Otters, don't like us at all. Continuing on this theme, Keepers really dislike the threat to their Game Fish and deal with such accordingly :Wink:

Britford really is worth a look once the prolific weed starts to die back.....one of my spies is going this Friday for a looksee and shall make his report.

As ever,........

Moley
Say aye tae'a pie!

Duebel
Rainbow Trout

Post by Duebel »

Dear gentlemen,

I'm after roach from time to time as well. The only way for me to learn new techniques for doing so is reading, as all anglers I know are modern perch, pike or carp hunters.
I can trott a stick or an avon, I'm not all bad at stret pegging, a can fish a waggler close to the bank, where there's hardly any current but I've never heard or read anything about "MAG&WAG". Could you please explain this technique a bit more detailed? Sounds quite interesting to me. Is there a book, where I can read more about it?

Thanks in advance!
Greetings from Bamberg
Martin

Paul D

Post by Paul D »

Easy one to answer Martin, mag&wag simply refers to using maggots along with a waggler float. :Hat:

Duebel
Rainbow Trout

Post by Duebel »

I got this, but how should I fish the waggler in the river? Trotting like an avon or stick? Shotting pattern? Would I use a ducker, as described by Billy Lane?
Wouldn't a waggler just drown when held back against the current?
Greetings from Bamberg
Martin

KenSowerbutts
Grayling

Post by KenSowerbutts »

Lovely specimen sir
Knowledge comes but Wisdom lingers

Tengisgol
Barbel

Post by Tengisgol »

Moley wrote:
Tengisgol wrote:Fantastic! Where and how did you catch it?
Roach of this size are rarer than the proverbial hens teeth nowadays, especially the river versions. However, having been a studious Mole in their piscine habits for getting on for sixty years, can catch one or two every now and then :Wink:

The where is easy..... The Glorious Test :Hat:

The how is also easy.........maggot and waggler down the inside track. It's funny how techniques are forgotten, given time, but the waggler is still a very versatile running water method, when it is fished in the right manner and gives a presentation roach of all sizes fall for, oft times better than the stick!
Olly wrote:14-15in makes it around or over the 2lb mark!

Just over by a smidge and most welcome, believe me Olly.

Many thanks to every one for their kind words and here's hoping another of such magnitude comes to see me soon :Beg:

As ever,.........

Moley
Brilliant, I was hoping you'd say it was a river two pounder! Well done.
Where the willows meet the water...

https://sites.google.com/site/tengisgol/

Michael
Tench

Post by Michael »

Duebel wrote:I got this, but how should I fish the waggler in the river? Trotting like an avon or stick? Shotting pattern? Would I use a ducker, as described by Billy Lane?
Wouldn't a waggler just drown when held back against the current?
There lies the rub using a waggler, by its nature you cannot hold back or slow it down, unless the flow is minimal or very slow. But more importantly in my opinion, its far easier to use, than conventional stick, balsa and avon. The waggler also gives you the opportunity to fish the far bank, under cover, unlike a sticks, balsas and avons, which will be dragged away from the bank area by the flow of the water on the line line.

The following link may be of assistance, admittedly its a bit basic: http://www.sjmwebsites.co.uk/fishing/wa ... shing.html

Michael
Tench

Post by Michael »

Well done Moley............

Olly
Wild Carp

Post by Olly »

Andy Little has been using this tactic on the Hants Avon with success. He has however used a loaded waggler with no shot down the line but having it 6-9 inches overdepth so it drags the bottom - some of the time.

A method usually used for commercial carp match fishing - spraying pellet and the carp taking it 'on the drop'.

Return to “Roach (Rutilus rutilus)”