air injected lobworm

This forum is for discussing perch.
Watermole+
Chub

Re: air injected lobworm

Post by Watermole+ »

Alan H wrote:
Prince of Durham wrote:Funny I've just been reading the 'catch Tench' book and there's a little on air injecting worms. It mentions using it for weedy situations. I've never tried it, I think worms, especially lobs, are too high up the order of animals and it prangs at my heart strings just hooking them never mind injecting air into them; stupid I know, it's always been the case. I still use them to fish with.

I use a syringe for injecting glue into the sections on delaminated rods, that's about my limit.
I know exactly what you are saying Marc, I couldn't bring myself to inject air into them and rarely use worms as I don't like to even hook them, same thing as I could never live bait for Pike, tried it once in the 60's, packed up and went home, never again.

Have to say that I am entirely in agreement with the above.
There is no law that prohibits this, but I rate it on the same level as live baiting, gaffing fish and other repulsive practices.
Yes, I know we are "traditional" anglers, but it's about time that we projected a more humane image to the public in this day and age and moved on from such things..
Each to his own, as they say, but there is something about this that makes me feel far from comfortable..

No apologies,

wm+

"Are not two sparrows sold for a farthing? Yet one of them shall not fall without your Father knoweth" ..Jesus of Nazareth, King James AV

Chris Bettis
Crucian Carp

Post by Chris Bettis »

Air injected lobworms also make a good surface bait - well worth a try.

Paul D

Post by Paul D »

Watermole+ wrote:
Alan H wrote:
Prince of Durham wrote:Funny I've just been reading the 'catch Tench' book and there's a little on air injecting worms. It mentions using it for weedy situations. I've never tried it, I think worms, especially lobs, are too high up the order of animals and it prangs at my heart strings just hooking them never mind injecting air into them; stupid I know, it's always been the case. I still use them to fish with.

I use a syringe for injecting glue into the sections on delaminated rods, that's about my limit.
I know exactly what you are saying Marc, I couldn't bring myself to inject air into them and rarely use worms as I don't like to even hook them, same thing as I could never live bait for Pike, tried it once in the 60's, packed up and went home, never again.

There is no law that prohibits this, but I rate it on the same level as live baiting, gaffing fish and other repulsive practices.
Yes, I know we are "traditional" anglers, but it's about time that we projected a more humane image to the public in this day and age and moved on from such things..
Each to his own, as they say, but there is something about this that makes me feel far from comfortable..

No apologies,

wm+
I agree, I'm far to soft to do it, once bought a large tub of lobs and ended up letting them go, just couldn't bring myself to hook them..sorry :Hat:

Mark
Head Bailiff

Post by Mark »

Watermole+ wrote:
Alan H wrote:

No apologies,

wm+
I have to agree also.
Mark (Administrator)

The most precious places in the English landscape are those secretive corners,
where you find only elder trees, nettles and dreams. (BB - Denys Watkins-Pitchford).

Shaun Harrison
Zander

Post by Shaun Harrison »

It's an awkward one this one as after injecting them the angler is going to drown them so the poor worm doesn't get a great deal anyway.
I find myself uncomfortable thinking of doing this these days although I hold my hands up and admit to doing it many years back for perch.

If I wanted to pop a worm up these days I'm afraid I would rather use a piece of 'MODERN' (sorry if the word hurt whilst sat in front of your modern screens) buoyant foam and take advantage of a brighter sight attractor too. Less likely to knock the introduced wind out the worm on the cast and under the pressure of deep water.

GazTheAngler

Post by GazTheAngler »

No I wouldn't really want to do this either, for one the idea makes me a little uncomfortable and two beings clumsy s** I'd probably give myself an air embolism

Kevin
Chub

Post by Kevin »

Olly wrote:All vegetarians then?
No.

Mark
Head Bailiff

Post by Mark »

Kevin wrote:
No.
I hope not, my wife say shes doing steak and chips tonight. Mind you there will be a few mushrooms and a dollop of brown sauce on the plate as well. :Chuckle:

On a serious note though would a vegetarian want to go fishing?
Mark (Administrator)

The most precious places in the English landscape are those secretive corners,
where you find only elder trees, nettles and dreams. (BB - Denys Watkins-Pitchford).

Trilob
Chub

Post by Trilob »

Mark wrote:
Kevin wrote:
No.
I hope not, my wife say shes doing steak and chips tonight. Mind you there will be a few mushrooms and a dollop of brown sauce on the plate as well. :Chuckle:

On a serious note though would a vegetarian want to go fishing?
Yes,
I'm a vegan. And I do struggle with it. But (at the moment) I can justify it to myself.
Don't know if I want to start a discussion about this so I won't elaborate at the moment :surrender:

Dave Burr
Honorary Vice President

Post by Dave Burr »

I've always had a soft spot for worms and whenever I find one in the bucket thats healed over having been halved, I always let them go. Maybe its the guilt of having pulled so many apart as a child.

Ultimately its the same as a maggot in the food chain and is definitely the most traditional bait of all so its a personal choice - just like everything else you do when fishing.

Return to “Perch (Perca fluviatilis)”