9lb record perch!

This forum is for discussing perch.
Bobthefloat
Rainbow Trout

9lb record perch!

Post by Bobthefloat »

My friend gave me a book for my birthday and whilst browsing I found this section on Hyde park which I thought was very interesting!

Dave Burr
Honorary Vice President

Re: 9lb record perch!

Post by Dave Burr »

Funny how dead fish weigh so much. I'm sure the fact they are bloated and due to the smell, the weight estimated may have something to do with it.

I fished a lake in the 60's and early 70's that, after the big freeze up of '63, had tales of a nine pound tench (way over the record at the time), that was alleged to have become trapped in the tangle of overhanging trees and had grown into the shape of the 'cage'. It was reported by many and believed as genuine but doubtless was nothing more than a decomposing fish (one of nearly all the fish in the lake) that had become stuck in the vegetation.

But tales like this make for good reading and maybe, just maybe, one may be true and lead the way to a genuine monster.

Ian
Eel

Post by Ian »

Perch over 7lb were not uncommon in Loch Lomond many moons ago and I wouldn’t be surprised if there are a few still about to this day.
Don’t cast doubt,cast out.

Ian.R.McDonald
Chub

Post by Ian.R.McDonald »

Most of us started our fishing catching 2oz perch with the occasional 10oz one looking a monster. I remember losing a 2lb fish at the net on the Roding. If asked on the day I would have said 4lb + easily!

Olly
Wild Carp

Post by Olly »

I have fished Richmond Park (carp over 40 been caught), Osterley - cannot remember anything big, Windsor Great Park - 6 x 20lb pike in a season for me - now a carp syndicate at £1000 per season. Was about £50 to £70!!

Not mentioned - Bushey Park's Diana Fountain Pond did a 6lb perch + (was the learning ground for for many well known carpers!) and Hampton Court Ponds, Wall, Rick and overflow, were prolific tench waters with big carp in the Longwater.

Return to “Perch (Perca fluviatilis)”