No pike and high pressure

This forum is for discussing pike.
Riparian
Bleak

No pike and high pressure

Post by Riparian »

A short, middle of the day session on the Forty Foot drain today produced no runs to the deadbaits, which was exactly the same result as I managed a couple of days ago. Last night was the first frost for a while and on top of that the sun was bright and the water is beginning to clear. Recently, that is since the first of the month, the last hour of the day has been worth all the others put together, so the pike are keeping up some of the old traditions.

However, years ago I remember following the discussion in the angling press about pike feeding best in conditions of settled high pressure which produce, of course, at this time of year, clear skies, sunshine and cold nights. These are the conditions that I generally avoid for any fish, never mind pike on fen drains. Did that theory die a natural death or do some forum members still think there is some truth in the idea that the feeding activity of pike is influenced by atmospheric pressure?

As a postscript, I'll add that the conditions I would choose for a day's piking on the fen drains would be overcast and relatively mild, and some fog would be a bonus; the water on this perfect day would have some colour and movement, too.
"It is the most delicious form of idling known to me."

The Old Buffer
Crucian Carp

Re: No pike and high pressure

Post by The Old Buffer »

I would tend to agree with your chosen conditions for fishing fen drains - being keen on piking on the drains north of Boston in Lincolnshire.

Unfortunately many is the time that I have fished on that perfect day only to draw a blank, whilst fishing the same water with opposite conditions has produced a red letter day.

One thing is certain and that is that pike come on feed at the same time. I have witness this on drains when the water fairly boils with the ferocity of multiple pike strikes. In fact the activity can be so intense that it would almost lead you to believing that the individual fish are acting as a team.

Alas, I have yet to come to any definite conclusions as to what brings about this feeding frenzy and have read contradictory opinions as to the conditions regarding light, temperature and atmospheric pressure. I do tend towards the poor light - good piking idea though. Pike as predators have better eyesight than the bait fish and so this makes sense. Fog is forecast up here for the rest of the week with very low temperatures so I shall try to sneak a day out and hope for the best. At the very least it will get me out in the fresh air.
The coiled line travels from the reel, it brings up at last, the hook goes home, and then begins the test of skill. "BB"

Olly
Wild Carp

Re: No pike and high pressure

Post by Olly »

I seldom bother with piking in high pressure. Rather wait for a good blow to stir them up with the low pressure - cloudy. This refers to still waters especially.

Return to “Pike (Esox lucius)”