Pike on a pin

This forum is for discussing pike.
Duebel
Rainbow Trout

Pike on a pin

Post by Duebel »

Today my wife sent me fishing after tea. You should always do what your wife says, believe me.

So I left my wife at home and took my new Speedia to a lock at my river, only 3 Minutes from home!

At this lock I had spotted a large shoal of spawning bleak a couple of days ago. When I arrived the little fish were still there and also some predator activity could be seen. Unfortunately I haven't got a decent rod yet to match the lovely Speedia so I had to take a light modern carp rod. Terminal tackle was a homemade elder pith heavy trotting stick, the black one (carries almost 2 SSG) and a large single and a small trebble hook on a kevlar leader. Bait was a frozen bleak I had caught earlier today.
The bleak kept quite close to the bank so I just let the float trott down from the rod tip. From time to time I would stop the float, retrieve it a bit, let it trott again - the dead bleak getting alive again. After some 15 minutes I felt a little resistence whilst slowly retrieving the float. I gave some line - no reaction, float cocking pefectly, tried to get in contact with the bait, some little movement - strike and fish on!
A short but fierce fight with a lot of thumb action on the rim of the Speedia and ...
82cm and 3660g - wich is about 32'' and 8lb - not the biggest but a very beautiful pike!
My wife was right, it was a good evening for fishing today!!!

Greetings from Bamberg

Martin

NiceRoach
Eel

Re: Pike on a pin

Post by NiceRoach »

Excellent :tea:
niceroach

OldTackle
Arctic Char

Post by OldTackle »

Well done Martin!

Did the same today evening but no bite. I think the water was too dirty from all the rain the days before. Hope for clearing up soon to have another attempt.
< °) >>><( Christopher )><<< (° >

Duebel
Rainbow Trout

Post by Duebel »

OldTackle wrote:Well done Martin!

Did the same today evening but no bite. I think the water was too dirty from all the rain the days before. Hope for clearing up soon to have another attempt.
Try it again tomorrow! I don't think your water was to dirty. The Regnitz looks like Cappuccino at the moment. Just keep looking for some bleak, pike will be there.

Chris Bettis
Crucian Carp

Post by Chris Bettis »

Nice Pike with super markings for your first trip using your Speedia. Hope you have many more.

Paul D

Post by Paul D »

Well done Martin, a fine fish. :Hat:

Return to “Pike (Esox lucius)”