This forum is for discussing barbel.
Old Man River
Eel

Re: Which rod?....

Post by Old Man River »

[media][/media]
Mole-Patrol wrote: Sat Jul 04, 2020 6:00 pm
BoltonBullfinch wrote: Sat Jul 04, 2020 3:40 pm
Mole-Patrol wrote: Sat Jul 04, 2020 3:37 pm It is not just about the fish or strength of line. The method that you will be using and weights of lead or feeder (including bait) also need to be taken into account. I would take two rods; your preferred choice and a heavier one in case you need to step up the casting weight.

Don't worry about sensitivity of the tip regards bites. Jut make sure to hang onto your rod :shocked:
Your worrying me lol....

Thanks
BB
Don't be worried. You'll be fine. :Thumb:

Just make sure that your rod is positioned on a rest so that if (or hopefully - when) a decent Boris takes your bait, the but is secure in the back rest. The thrill of the bite is what makes it addictive. More often than not it isn't a subtle affair. It helps to have the rod tip elevated both to relieve the pressure of current on your line and also the reel counter-balances any downward pull of the tip from a fish taking the bait.

You'll love it when you catch one.

Like so.

If you fish the margins under a bush or similar,The high tip is a no no in such circumstances as it can cause problems with line tangling in the vegetation.

Like so.

David
Hurrumph....... whatever happened to Handlines ?

BoltonBullfinch
Arctic Char

Post by BoltonBullfinch »

Cheers David.

Thanks
BB
'We fish a lot' Forrest Gump.

Penninelad
Arctic Char

Post by Penninelad »

I recently refurbished a Lee of Redditch "The Aquilla" which is all split cane and has plenty of poke to handle a barbel. I have used it twice on the Trent but have yet to catch a barbel(I need a lesson from Bob Brookes!) but it has coped with decent sized chub.
Mark Davies

Chevin Chaser
Dace

Post by Chevin Chaser »

I use a prototype can rod that was made for chub fishing initially, but I've had more barbel on it than chub. I also use my WA Allcocks Adonis. I tend to fish under my feet with the rod kept low. Most of the time the bites are quite ferocious, but I've caught a fair few that have only given me a tiny indication/slow pull.

My rig is very simple and only takes seconds to set up, it's my chub rig. The lightest weight I can get away with to hold bottom, usually on a link ledger to a size 10 or 8 hook in summer. Winter I'll step up to a 6 and 4.

Go for chub and you'll catch barbel. If you only target barbel be prepared for many blanks before hitting into one.
It is important to be aware that every fishing story...depends on the honesty of those telling it, the accuracy of their memory and the realibility of their interpretation of the circumstances.

BoltonBullfinch
Arctic Char

I will post tomorrow on my little fishing tour.

Thanks
BB

Barbellina
Roach

Post by Barbellina »

Come on BB, I'm waiting with baited breath, I need to know if you bagged one or not! :shocked:
"Angling is a refuge from competitiveness, from rat-racing, from status-seeking. So let it remain."
Bernard Venables

BoltonBullfinch
Arctic Char

Barbellina wrote: Thu Jul 09, 2020 7:37 am Come on BB, I'm waiting with baited breath, I need to know if you bagged one or not! :shocked:
They will be on the Stockton Reservoir Monday thread , I have posted the first one, no 2 will be this afternoon.

Thanks
BB

Return to “Barbel (Barbus barbus)”