Which rod?....

This forum is for discussing barbel.
BoltonBullfinch
Arctic Char

Which rod?....

Post by BoltonBullfinch »

I'm looking for a bit of advice from you experienced barbel anglers please. I'm going on the Severn on Tuesday at Hampton Loade and only ever having caught a pond Barbel of 8inch I'm undecided on what rod to use. The chances are I won't catch one so it doesn't really matter, but just in case I I do hook one I thought I would ask. My options are Chapman 550 (my preferred choice), a JB Walker MklV S/U, a B&W glass MklV S/U. Would the 550 be up to the job of a angry Severn Barbel. I was looking at using 10 or 12lb line, with 8lb hook link.

Thanks
BB
'We fish a lot' Forrest Gump.

Old Man River
Eel

Re: Which rod?....

Post by Old Man River »

Hi Paul, I have used my Mk IV Carp on the Wye and it handled a few doubles easily enough, so I can say that using it there should be no problem.

I use 12 lb mono, with a 10 lb flouro hooklink.... Mitchell 300, or my aged and wobbly Gypsy D' Or 'pin.

I cant speak for the Chapman as I have never seen one in the flesh, let alone had a waggle.

Good luck on your adventures.

OMR
Hurrumph....... whatever happened to Handlines ?

Dave Burr
Honorary Vice President

Post by Dave Burr »

A MkIv or a 550 will handle a decent barbel, there's no need to take the stepped up route unless there's extra water on and you are casting heavy leads or feeders. I hope you catch a decent barbel, they are great fighters and will give you a great day. :Thumb:

BoltonBullfinch
Arctic Char

Thank you David and Dave.... If the 550 will handle a Barbel then I will take it....

Thanks
BB

John_Moore
Silver Bream

Post by John_Moore »

You can't go far wrong with the 550 or mkIV Avon BB
I fish tight to snags for most barbel with a Avon and never had a problem although I have lost the odd one or two.
You will know straight away wether you have hooked a chub or a barbel BB.
Have a great time and good luck.
John.

Mole-Patrol
Brown Trout

Post by Mole-Patrol »

It is not just about the fish or strength of line. The method that you will be using and weights of lead or feeder (including bait) also need to be taken into account. I would take two rods; your preferred choice and a heavier one in case you need to step up the casting weight.

Don't worry about sensitivity of the tip regards bites. Jut make sure to hang onto your rod :shocked:

BoltonBullfinch
Arctic Char

Mole-Patrol wrote: Sat Jul 04, 2020 3:37 pm It is not just about the fish or strength of line. The method that you will be using and weights of lead or feeder (including bait) also need to be taken into account. I would take two rods; your preferred choice and a heavier one in case you need to step up the casting weight.

Don't worry about sensitivity of the tip regards bites. Jut make sure to hang onto your rod :shocked:
Your worrying me lol....

Thanks
BB

Mole-Patrol
Brown Trout

Post by Mole-Patrol »

BoltonBullfinch wrote: Sat Jul 04, 2020 3:40 pm
Mole-Patrol wrote: Sat Jul 04, 2020 3:37 pm It is not just about the fish or strength of line. The method that you will be using and weights of lead or feeder (including bait) also need to be taken into account. I would take two rods; your preferred choice and a heavier one in case you need to step up the casting weight.

Your worrying me lol....

Thanks
BB
Don't be worried. You'll be fine. :Thumb:

Just make sure that your rod is positioned on a rest so that if (or hopefully - when) a decent Boris takes your bait, the but is secure in the back rest. The thrill of the bite is what makes it addictive. More often than not it isn't a subtle affair. It helps to have the rod tip elevated both to relieve the pressure of current on your line and also the reel counter-balances any downward pull of the tip from a fish taking the bait.

You'll love it when you catch one.

Paul F
Sea Trout

Post by Paul F »

Chapman 550 everyday, will subdue a Severn barbel with power in reserve, good luck, i look forward to your report back :Thumb:

BoltonBullfinch
Arctic Char

I have put the JB Walker mklV s/u in the holdall this afternoon as a spare, think I will take it out in the morning and make it a purely Chapman affair.

Thanks
BB

Return to “Barbel (Barbus barbus)”