Trotting in deeper water question.

This forum is for discussing barbel.
Pallenpool
Zander

Re: Trotting in deeper water question.

Post by Pallenpool »

May I just add - would it not also be an idea to consider fishing either free-lined (with a heavy hook bait) or use a lead/shot with a tail to suit? I tend to shy away from a float in too deep water on anything more than a minimal flow - presentation can be crucial. In the end it’s down to an individuals confidence in the behaviour of the bait when using sliders and the there set up - I am more at home using them in still water, or minimal flow as said.
No man ever steps in the same river twice, for it's not the same river and he's not the same man.

Heraclitus

www.thepiscatorialraconteurs.co.uk

Santiago
Wild Carp

Post by Santiago »

Cheers PP, that's exactly what I did in the end when bites weren't forthcoming, and I caught a fish within minutes, but not the target species barbel. Although I'm not sure my presentation was great as most of the subsequent bites were more plucky, but they might have been small chub.
"....he felt the gentle touch on the line and he was happy"

Hemingway

Phil Arnott
Chub

Post by Phil Arnott »

Has anyone come across barbel that sit under the weir sill? The first barbel ever I caught were taken like this from the famous Topcliffe Weir on the River Swale in Yorkshire.

Santiago
Wild Carp

Post by Santiago »

Ive caught pike there, and have yet to catch a barbel there. The weir I fish deepens very quickly to 25'+ within 12 of the water coming over and the bottom is bouldery, so it's difficult to press a bait near the sill.
"....he felt the gentle touch on the line and he was happy"

Hemingway

Mole-Patrol
Brown Trout

Post by Mole-Patrol »

I have only seen small ones up to a couple of pounds or so right under the weir sill. Also just in front of the lip where the water shallows up before going over the weir.

Return to “Barbel (Barbus barbus)”