when the river floods.....

This forum is for discussing barbel.
TrentFisher
Crucian Carp

when the river floods.....

Post by TrentFisher »

On my local stretch of the Trent when in flood is a mean piece of water,and to this end I reach for the big guns regarding rods and reels when fishing for barbel,this includes 2.5 tc carp rods and baitrunners,as the weight of the feeders increse greatly even in the slacker water areas.These tactics are also used for some chub fishing.
to some this may sound "over egging "but I believe in the harder conditions the tackle fits the bill.I don't like using bite alarms,but I will use a weighted bobbin as I find a upstream feeder works well (Archie Braddock style) to give early warning of backdrop bites.
I know the tactics are not strictly traditional,however the user is and it means a chance of session when the weather turns.

Just wondered how everyone copes with the rivers when they are in flood conditions.

Look forward to your comments as always

Dave Burr
Honorary Vice President

Re: when the river floods.....

Post by Dave Burr »

I bought one of the early Peregrine flood rods and tackled the main flow full on. It made my arm ache and that was just pulling in the balls of weed! Nowadays I use my summer rods and tackle. 2 maybe 3 oz (if I really have to), leads but fished only as far out as it will hold bottom. I use watercraft to find areas where the fish are resting or feeding out of the main flow and catch them there. This has brought me double figure barbel and chub to over six pounds which is good enough for me.

Anybody want to buy a Peregrine Flood rod?

Tengisgol
Barbel

Post by Tengisgol »

Same as you Dave; Rob and I fished last year at Xmas and the river was at the height of the bank on that pool on beat two. The rain was horizontal and full pelters and we laughed at it.

We walked the mad river down until we got to the spot where you say, 'there!' On the inside bank and sure enough that's where the fish were. Felt great, used my summer rod and it was just fine.

Didn't stay long mind! About ten to twelve I recall!

Found a picture from that crazy day:

Where the willows meet the water...

https://sites.google.com/site/tengisgol/

TrentFisher
Crucian Carp

Post by TrentFisher »

I too use watercraft,look for slacks slow glides behind trees etc,however the banks of the stretch are overgrown and steep so when in flood I use this knowledge to gauge where the best to place the terminal tackle ,there is only one bend on the stretch but a number of large willows,however the current is still stong in a moderate flood even at close range .Where possible I use a a lighter feeder rod (3oz feeders) or my converted CTM which is stepped up in middle and top sections and what was a damaged butt section made in to a shorter handle section and fitted with low bridge rings,at around 11'3" in length makes a great barbel/chub rod in my eyes anyway and is teamed up with a mitchell 300 for nicely balanced outfit.
The carp rod/baitrunners are for the more extreme conditions and have their place but not the norm as in life a nice balance needs to be found

John Aston

Post by John Aston »

Watercraft and fishing deep fast flood water aren't mutually exclusive ; if fish are rolling in the middle I have no problem with nailing down a big bait on a buggering huge lead . I bought a 2.75TC barbel rod earlier this year and it is certainly not overgunning it . I love the fact that my fishing can range from size 20 on 0.10 for roach via tiny dry flies for wild trout to a 12lb bs hooklength, size 4 hook and 4 oz lead .

I use two rods now for barbelling and tend to fish one close in on a 1-2 oz lead and the other longer out with heavy metal- but I only fish for them now when rivers are up and coloured.

Nigel Rainton
Rainbow Trout

Post by Nigel Rainton »

......I stay at home.

Paul D

Post by Paul D »

SofaSurfer wrote:......I stay at home.
Me too :tea:

Olly
Wild Carp

Post by Olly »

I am with John on this one - but frightened to use cane for using any lead over 2oz. Also use the whole variety of similar tactics - catching fish is the main aim although on some rare occasions enjoy "being there".

RBTraditional
Catfish

Post by RBTraditional »

Paul D wrote:
SofaSurfer wrote:......I stay at home.
Me too :tea:
I go to the pub..... :cheers:
" Angling is not an escape from life, but often a deeper immersion into it..."

https://thepiscatorialraconteurs.co.uk/

Santiago
Wild Carp

Post by Santiago »

I make floats at home! Even though I'm already there in the flood water.
"....he felt the gentle touch on the line and he was happy"

Hemingway

Return to “Barbel (Barbus barbus)”