back from the taxidermist

This forum is for discussing barbel.
Paul F
Sea Trout

back from the taxidermist

Post by Paul F »

about a 10 months ago I was decorating the living room, so I had to store my barbel elsewhere. When doing some housework I put the hoover through the case :Cry:
After some negotiation with a local taxidermist and Churchill insurance and 10 months I finally can get it back on the wall :huray:

The barbel in question of 5lb 8oz was caught on the Thames at Windsor in 1934 by N.Sawyer

It was a bit of a blessing this happening, as over the years it had suffered some damage to the inside backboard with putty staining and some shrinkage to the head.

So after the accident it was re-cased, keeping the original riverbed and weeds, the fish was restored and a newly painted backboard, keeping the legend, hence the 10 month wait

I am really pleased with it, and it will be on display in my living room

Loop Erimder
Wild Carp

Re: back from the taxidermist

Post by Loop Erimder »

Miss Loop embraces my anging obsession and loves that I have that and keeps me out of trouble. I would love to have a cased fish in the living room but she is not keen :Thumbsdown::
Chance is always powerful. Let your hook be always cast; in the pool where you least expect it, there will be a fish

Sussex Micky
Arctic Char

Post by Sussex Micky »

stunning I love it :Thumb: I would love a single or nice set of perch if any member was thinning their collection :Beg:
micky :Hat:

RBTraditional
Catfish

Post by RBTraditional »

I'll nobble you a couple of three pounders from my lake mate and put them in the freezer till we meet up next :Thumb:
" Angling is not an escape from life, but often a deeper immersion into it..."

https://thepiscatorialraconteurs.co.uk/

Sussex Micky
Arctic Char

Post by Sussex Micky »

actualy Rob , Mr Crabtree tells Peter in his book that Perch "split open and grilled are good or can be roasted" :Cool:

Capebreton
Perch

Post by Capebreton »

lovely

RBTraditional
Catfish

Post by RBTraditional »

Sussex Micky wrote:actualy Rob , Mr Crabtree tells Peter in his book that Perch "split open and grilled are good or can be roasted" :Cool:
Yes I spent a bit of time lurking around in France in my misspent youth mate and would agree that grilled perch with fennel is one of the best dishes I've eaten after pan fried eel in butter..............but then the French really do know a thing or two about food........I suppose that's why I insist upon fresh bread every day, no cut loaves from the supermarket in this cottage..Ha! :Thumb:
" Angling is not an escape from life, but often a deeper immersion into it..."

https://thepiscatorialraconteurs.co.uk/

Reedling
Catfish

Post by Reedling »

What a lovely looking and well executed cased fish, that would look smashing up on a wall of our house. I have a few items of taxidermy including birds and butterflies in domes etc but nothing as impressive as that...I love it. :Hat: Reedling. :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

Dave Burr
Honorary Vice President

Post by Dave Burr »

Sussex Micky wrote:actualy Rob , Mr Crabtree tells Peter in his book that Perch "split open and grilled are good or can be roasted" :Cool:
"We'll take this one home for Patsy" if I remember rightly :)

A well set up fish is a beautiful thing for sure, I've been tempted many times but they are just so big. My only one is of a pike no more than 6 or 7" long, kind of a compromise but yours PP, I envy.

Santiago
Wild Carp

Post by Santiago »

A lovely relic of the past but thankfully we no longer do that to the fish we catch! There are some fantastic cased fish in The Land's End pub in Twyford!
"....he felt the gentle touch on the line and he was happy"

Hemingway

Return to “Barbel (Barbus barbus)”