Carp in brackish water

This forum is for discussing carp.
Liphook
Barbel

Re: Carp in brackish water

Post by Liphook »

Interesting - maybe I should be looking further down my local river. I've seen good carp in the lower reaches but not yet seen them in the tidal zone I often fish for sea trout but then it's a nocturnal affair. The lads who occasionally fish worm for salmon down there have complained about he odd flounder as bycatch

Rotrax
Rudd

Post by Rotrax »

To add to this some years ago, due to the amount of metal in my right arm and left knee, we try not to stay in the cold and damp UK during winter. Six years ago we choseto stay in Torrevieja, just West of Alicante. October through March.

There is a River Segura nearby that enters the sea ajacent to a fishing port and Marina. The Mediteranean is NOT tidal, but water levels can change dependant on air pressure and wind direction. It river enters the sea at Guardamar de Segura.

Having obtained a local permit my wife and I fished it within sight of the sea. Perhaps 200 metres away.

She caught three small carp, I got two. All the same size 3-4 pounds. A Spanish guy fishing upstream using worm caught a good Sea Bass, about 3 pounds.

I never tasted the water but the bankside vegitation changed quite dramaticaly over a 50 metre length, from country to seashore, right where the best fishing was.

It is clear to me Carp thrive in brackish water.

DWW
Grayling

Post by DWW »

Hi
I fish on the tidal Arun in West Sussex . I have caught carp while fishing for Mullet in water that is " brackish" and also roach , rudd and hybrids . I think the fish move down the river with the tides and then dependant on the tidal state between neaps and springs will depend on where you find them . Pike also move into brackish water . I have caught them in effectively salt water in the Baltic too .
Cheers
DWW

Return to “Carp (Cyprinus carpio)”