Where the Bright Waters Meet by Harry Plunket Greene

Discuss all your fishing books & magazines here.
DaceAce
Eel

Re: Where the Bright Waters Meet by Harry Plunket Greene

Post by DaceAce »

There are all sorts of versions; I have a Lyons Press (USA) P/B that I bought in West Yellowstone, and that does have the pictures.

CrayCane
Chub

Post by CrayCane »

Isn't YouTube marvellous:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ImWEs7jEiNU

Pete

Nigel Rainton
Rainbow Trout

Post by Nigel Rainton »

Unfortunately the recent photo does not have an accurate time/date stamp and the website where I found it keeps crashing my PC. I think it must have been in the last couple of years. I found some other photos which show just an empty field, no water at all.

Skeff
Crucian Carp

Post by Skeff »

You now have me wondering if it is the Bourne I've crossed and looked at after all.... It's disorientating on a long train journey and it may well be another stream, although it was after this wet winter that I saw what i though must have been the Bright Waters and all the winterbournes were flowing well.

John Aston

Post by John Aston »

Not that many fishing books really merit the title 'Classic' but this is assuredly one of them. I made a special pilgrimage last time I was down on the Test to divert to the Bourne to pay my respects. It didn't disappoint. And in true Amazon style if anybody has enjoyed this book but has yet to read Viscount Grey of Falloden's works- just do it !

Skeff
Crucian Carp

Post by Skeff »

Thanks John - Yet more books on the wanted list. I'm sure Mrs Skeff will be delighted with the new bookcase!

Nigel Rainton
Rainbow Trout

Post by Nigel Rainton »

I've been researching the River Bourne with a view to fishing it this summer. It's expensive £300 per day! I also found out a bit more information on Harry Plunkett Greene, see the latest post on my website, link below :-)

Old Man Oakley
Roach

Post by Old Man Oakley »

The Bourne is flowing well, above and below St Mary Bourne, as the springs opened some two to three weeks ago. I have a picture of me wading at where the bright waters meet which I will try and add. In the interim, here's me and the dog collecting mistletoe last Christmas just below the Iron Bridge, the current kept sweeping my prized mistletoe away!

All of the places PG mentions are still going strong. Even at Chalky's Cottage (The Island) the original rod racks are still on the wall.

Let me know if anyone fancy's a tour round.

Regards

OMO

Believe me, my young friend, there is nothing - absolutely nothing - half so much worth doing as simply messing about in boats.

Nigel Rainton
Rainbow Trout

Post by Nigel Rainton »

OMO,

Great pictures, are you a keeper on the Bourne?

Firebird,

It's a sad story but heartening to know that something has been done to address the problems. I doubt that there are any truly wild trout south of the Scottish border.

Old Man Oakley
Roach

Post by Old Man Oakley »

No, just the Land Agent. (Couldn't you tell by the colour of the cords?!) Here is a picture of a spectacular trout I caught in April 2 yrs ago. I always eat my first fit trout of the season. They are all pretty wild in behaviour!

OMO
Believe me, my young friend, there is nothing - absolutely nothing - half so much worth doing as simply messing about in boats.

Return to “Fishing Books and Magazines”