Where the Bright Waters Meet by Harry Plunket Greene

Discuss all your fishing books & magazines here.
Old Man Oakley
Roach

Re: Where the Bright Waters Meet by Harry Plunket Greene

Post by Old Man Oakley »

Buoyed on by Badger's search I thought I would undertake a slightly less mobile approach. A quick search on the web for "Where the Bright Waters Meet" revealed many many editions. The Fly Fishers Library ones particularly beautiful, blue leather bound.

But then there was a 1924 edition.... Now surely that must almost be from when it was written? Another search yes written in 1924, and then checking Google images the cover material of sky blue looked about right.

£16 inc postage, too good to be true?

Well its mine now and only time and the postman will tell...

Believe me, my young friend, there is nothing - absolutely nothing - half so much worth doing as simply messing about in boats.

Nigel Rainton
Rainbow Trout

Post by Nigel Rainton »

That is a good find. I went to Oxfam this morning but there were no bargain books, the person who values the donated books probably skims the desirable antiquarian stuff :-(

John Aston

Post by John Aston »

I suggest you really don't say that to several friends who give up their own time to work in Oxfam and elsewhere.......

Nigel Rainton
Rainbow Trout

Post by Nigel Rainton »

John,

Our local Oxfam only has books, the person who examines the donations assesses the value and selects rare books for listing on the Oxfam website. Nothing wrong with that, it maximises income. I wasn't implying that they did it for personal gain.

Vole
Rainbow Trout

Post by Vole »

I never realised they had a searchable website for books! Thanks, that's something useful I've learned today.
The down-side is that I'm rather put off going to the actual shops, knowing that there's nothing there worth listing...
"Write drunk, edit sober" - Hemingway.
Hemingway didn't have to worry about accidentally hitting "submit" before he edited.

Nigel Rainton
Rainbow Trout

Post by Nigel Rainton »

Vole,

Yes, I used to find quite a few books in the shop but not anymore. I used to visit every Tuesday but rarely bother now. Shame.

Nigel Rainton
Rainbow Trout

Post by Nigel Rainton »

Old Man Oakley (David) kindly invited me to Hurstbourne Priors for a guided tour of the Bourne, to see the stretch described by Harry Plunkett Greene in 'Where the Bright Waters Meet'. It was a cold blustery day which was very appropriate as HPG repeatedly complained about the North East wind that blows down the Bourne Valley.

My journey West was uneventful except for the SatNav which proudly declared that I had 'arrived at my destination' while waiting at the traffic lights outside Boots in the centre of Winchester.

The Bourne Valley is a beautiful place, not part of the 'normal' world. It is quintessentially English, peaceful and oozing charm. I had entered a time warp and felt privileged to be in such a calming environment.

David was the perfect host. We had tea and homemade jam sponge while chatting about the Bourne. The plan was to visit the places featured in the book and compare 1902 to 2016. My back was a problem but after copious painkillers I managed to stumble along behind David as we explored this private stretch on the Apsley Estate. The river was in fine, winter condition and the photos tell the story better than words.

Savage and Sharkey's cottage

We had lunch at the pub and then finished the tour with a visit to the Bright Waters just below the viaduct.

More tea and cake and then the long journey home, the SatNav refused to talk to me. I think it was sulking because I had taken a short cut.

When I arrived home my mind was in a whirl. Crystal clear water, primroses, rising trout, deep pools and cake. The day was very enjoyable, better than fishing. The next time I read the book I will recall my visit and know exactly where HPG was standing and how he felt. Thank you for a memorable day David.
Last edited by Nigel Rainton on Sun Feb 28, 2016 1:26 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Badger
Grayling

Post by Badger »

How interesting to revisit the spots in the photographs from the book. Looks a nice height.
"An undisturbed river is as perfect as we will ever know, every refractive slide of cold water a glimpse of eternity" - Thomas McGuane

Nigel Rainton
Rainbow Trout

Post by Nigel Rainton »

1902 and 2016

Click on the image to make it bigger.

Nigel Rainton
Rainbow Trout

Post by Nigel Rainton »

Badger,

It was a great day out and the river was in perfect winter condition. I have posted some other images on my website, see below :-)

Return to “Fishing Books and Magazines”