More than just a book

Discuss all your fishing books & magazines here.
Keston
Tench

More than just a book

Post by Keston »

Today the postie brought me a trip down memory lane . My dad was friends with Steve back in the day and I remember Steve and some of the contributors in this book .
I was quite amused (pleased)to see so many of the contributors mentioning Keston ponds (Caesars pools ) and many of the other lakes I was very fortunate to fish as a boy .

Some of you may recognise some of the well known contributors and signatures in the book . It does evoke memories of 60 '- 80's carp fishing but
I remember many fished as all rounders too , I remember Pike fishing with Steve and my brothers and I trying to get them live baits.
I also remember Steve borrowing my dad's trout tackle to give that a go and then every so often would pop round with a fresh trout .

I was very fortunate to get a book in pristine condition and with the signatures I was looking for . It took a while, but it was worth it , the stories and images bring back some good memories

Bobthefloat
Rainbow Trout

Re: More than just a book

Post by Bobthefloat »

Well done John a very nice sentimental piece to have on the book shelf :Hat:

Liphook
Barbel

Post by Liphook »

What a momento and a cracking trip down memory lane for you by the sounds of it :Hat: (The only thing I don't get is why this is posted in the 'nothing to do with TF' section? )

Keston
Tench

Post by Keston »

Liphook wrote: Thu Mar 18, 2021 6:04 am What a momento and a cracking trip down memory lane for you by the sounds of it :Hat: (The only thing I don't get is why this is posted in the 'nothing to do with TF' section? )
I wasnt really sure where to put it , I guess I was concerned over offending anyone that may not see this as "traditional " angling . In the main it is evocative of Carp angling and my memories are in the main related to late 60's & 70's carp fishing .
I think of the fibreglass rods and Mitchell reels and anglers making what couldnt be bought to suit their needs , homemade shelters that fit around a brolly , I remember making 2 & 3 head rod rest bars (now commonly known as buzz bars ) in metalwork class at school . I remember the hours spend rolling homemade boilies , I vividly remember the first time I saw a "hair- rig " , my dad came walking in the front room holding it up and saying "welcome to the future of carp fishing - we are going to catch a lot more now ." . Of course he was right , but I clearly remember being sceptical and saying how could that possibly work . I remember the days before the hair rig and anglers striking and running backwards up the bank to try and set the hook . I remember the sights , sounds and smells and of course I remember the comeraderie and banter between adults .

The book does contain a piece by Steve where he talks of his early days in the mid 60's fishing Keston as a 14 year old . He recalls meeting Fred Wilton for the first time and a conversation about tackle , Steve was using a Mk4 split cane carp rod and Fred making comments about them being Bean Poles . Fred was using self built Olivers of Knebworth hollow glass rod and Steve writes he had never seen Fibreglass rods before .

Liphook
Barbel

Post by Liphook »

And that to me is the very essence of my own definition of traditional angling :Thumb: Yes, I love cane and 'pins but I also love and appreciate good glass and infact all good tackle that does its job efficiently (even if its, ahem, black plastic :Scared: ) I also like a fixed spool reel, the only difference being that I can't abide Mitchel 300 reels! I actually detest them I'm afraid :Sun:

Nobby
Wild Carp

Post by Nobby »

Is this gentleman the Steve Edwards who live south east London - Kent borders and sold on eBay? He was quite a collector, I recall. Taken too soon.

Olly
Wild Carp

Post by Olly »

Steve was I think the RMC/Leisure Sport Head Bailiff at Sutton-at-Hone. Met him a few times - as said above by Nobby - 'taken too soon'.

Keston
Tench

Post by Keston »

Nobby wrote: Sun Mar 21, 2021 7:53 am Is this gentleman the Steve Edwards who live south east London - Kent borders and sold on eBay? He was quite a collector, I recall. Taken too soon.
That May be right Nobby , certainly when I knew him he lived in Beckenham .

Keston
Tench

Post by Keston »

Olly wrote: Sun Mar 21, 2021 2:25 pm Steve was I think the RMC/Leisure Sport Head Bailiff at Sutton-at-Hone. Met him a few times - as said above by Nobby - 'taken too soon'.
I remember fishing Sutton at Hone in the early days , such a nice place .

Nobby
Wild Carp

Post by Nobby »

Keston wrote: Mon Mar 22, 2021 10:33 am
Nobby wrote: Sun Mar 21, 2021 7:53 am Is this gentleman the Steve Edwards who live south east London - Kent borders and sold on eBay? He was quite a collector, I recall. Taken too soon.
That May be right Nobby , certainly when I knew him he lived in Beckenham .
That's the feller...Beckenham.

One of the first ever on-line resources for vintage tackle was 'In The Net' set up by Swiss resident Brit, Adrain Gay. He got a lot of info from Steve and bought from him often.

Return to “Fishing Books and Magazines”