Esox lucius

Discuss all your fishing books & magazines here.
Greenwells Glory
Minnow

Esox lucius

Post by Greenwells Glory »

Having been mentioned elsewhere here’s a link to the book (only a few copies left).

https://www.harperanglingbooks.co.uk/pr ... h-edition/

Plenty for the traditionalist, as well as modern angler, in this lavish 320 pages celebrating pike fishing. Particularly Fred Buller’s ‘Pike Odyssey’; History of tackle; Taxidermy; Pike records etc. One really interesting chapter is ‘Managing a Pike Fishery’ (never seen the like before but totally absorbing).
A great mix, covering the spectrum of piking, with plenty of hitherto unpublished big pike capture stories from all types of waters; famous venues; techniques (including boat and fly-fishing), and an insight on the endeavours from many to make pike fishing what it is today, before finishing on ‘the future of pike fishing’.
The production values and quality of HFAB I dare say is unparalleled. And the design of the internal pages is sublime.

Santiago
Wild Carp

Re: Esox lucius

Post by Santiago »

Managing a pike fishery, I never knew there were any. I always thought that they were just tolerated; especially in trout reservoirs that sort of become pike fisheries during the trout close season for extra income. Anyways, I bet they don't manage these reservoirs and lochs with pike in mind. But I'd like to be wrong!
"....he felt the gentle touch on the line and he was happy"

Hemingway

JPC
Bleak

Post by JPC »

I am a member of the pike syndicate that is the subject of the chapter in the book. The guy who runs it has run it as a pike water since 1992. The reservoir has produced thirty pound fish virtually every year since 1992 right up to the present. He has some very strict but essential rules to safeguard the pike stock. All the members are vetted and all are very experienced and competent pike anglers. Fishing is allowed from both boats ( supplied) and the bank. An amazing pike story and a credit to the syndicate leader and shows what is possible with the correct application, I have got the book but as yet have not read it.

Greenwells Glory
Minnow

Post by Greenwells Glory »

Santiago wrote: Sat Dec 19, 2020 8:57 am Managing a pike fishery, I never knew there were any. I always thought that they were just tolerated; especially in trout reservoirs that sort of become pike fisheries during the trout close season for extra income. Anyways, I bet they don't manage these reservoirs and lochs with pike in mind. But I'd like to be wrong!
It would appear there's a number, like the example above. Dorset's Milton Abbas has strict rules for winter pike fishing, and limitations in the interests of the fish. Pike are important to aquaculture and the book enlightens on these issues.

Anyway, it's one of a number of intelligent chapters to be found between what is a stunning cover (taken from HFAB Facebook page).
ESOX LUCIUS - COVER 2.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Mario
Eel

Post by Mario »

great book mick told me there not many left so if you want one without paying flee bay prices get in soon

Return to “Fishing Books and Magazines”