Inscriptions in old Angling books

Discuss all your fishing books & magazines here.
Pallenpool
Zander

Re: Inscriptions in old Angling books

Post by Pallenpool »

I do not have many old books with inscriptions - I have included two - but my favourite of all inscriptions is the last entry by Chris - Mr Yates inside ‘The Deepening Pool’ wonderful.

No man ever steps in the same river twice, for it's not the same river and he's not the same man.

Heraclitus

www.thepiscatorialraconteurs.co.uk

Liphook
Barbel

Post by Liphook »

Interesting Peter, as I own several of the books from the Jack Reece collection. Fellow member Luke was selling them on that auction site and he kindly included a few for a collection he donated to our angling club lending library

Pallenpool
Zander

Post by Pallenpool »

Argh - well that makes sense as the S.F. did indeed come from that auction site as I remember. I also now you mention it recollect a post or two on here regarding these private collection ex libris books.
:Hat:
No man ever steps in the same river twice, for it's not the same river and he's not the same man.

Heraclitus

www.thepiscatorialraconteurs.co.uk

Greenwells Glory
Minnow

Post by Greenwells Glory »

Many years ago there was a time when collecting books that I tried to avoid any inscriptions. The turning point came when my wife surprised me with one that read "To Pater, Happy Xmas 1879",well written in lovely old ink. Immediately I thought of Rorke's Drift (year of Zulu battle), and nine years before Jack the Ripper etc etc. Inscriptions really do give a wonderful sense of history, and a personal touch. Just now wish I hadn't turned my nose up at others in the past!

Although my favourite is in an old mountaineering book, with family book plate, and is more like a letter than an inscription!

Mr B
Arctic Char

Post by Mr B »

ImageWow! The bird books inscription was a masterpiece!
A reel keepsake... someone had been working hard!
And, nice sentiments in the complete angler and I see that.
Another below of a book that was given to me by my next door neighbours when I was around 14.
Mr B (Mark)
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
The close season is an important and interesting time for the Angler who set out to catch big fish. It is a timely opportunity for him to make new tackle or renovate old. There are no end of jobs to do, apart from those horrible things called Gardens!

Silfield
Brown Trout

Post by Silfield »

ImageImage

A book I pick up when fancying a quick read, only to find I am still absorbed an hour or so later.
:read:
“There is certainly something in angling that tends to produce a serenity of the mind.”
Washington Irving

Mr B
Arctic Char

Post by Mr B »

There all coming out of the wood work now!
Lovely.
This one I like, I have had this book for as long as I can remember and each time I look at the inscription wonder what this lady Angler looked like back then... what a fish!

Mr B
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
The close season is an important and interesting time for the Angler who set out to catch big fish. It is a timely opportunity for him to make new tackle or renovate old. There are no end of jobs to do, apart from those horrible things called Gardens!

Fredline
Tench

Post by Fredline »

ImageImageI bought this copy from the World of Books for the princely sum of £3, they had 3 copies for sale. When I saw the inscription I realised that is was the same copy I sold a couple of years before at Redditch.
If you have no grease with you, and your rings are full of ice, do not cut out the ice with a pen-knife but get your man to put the rings one by one in his mouth, and so to thaw the ice.
John Bickerdyke.

Cane
Grayling

Post by Cane »

Not a fishing book, but the inscription from the author is sort of related. A classic book ‘60’s book for boys.
ImageImage
In the mud and scum of things, something always, always sings!
Mrs Wigg's philosophy

AshbyCut
Honorary President

Post by AshbyCut »

I absolutely love this one in my 1906 1st edition copy of "My Fishing Days and Fishing Ways" by J. W. Martin (The Trent Otter) ... it doesn't make clear if Mr. Newman is a staff member or an inmate !!!

"Beside the water I discovered (or maybe rediscovered) the quiet. The sort of quiet that allows one to be woven into the tapestry of nature instead of merely standing next to it." Estaban.

Return to “Fishing Books and Magazines”