Mr Crabtree’s fishing tackle.

Discuss all your fishing books & magazines here.
Mr B
Arctic Char

Mr Crabtree’s fishing tackle.

Post by Mr B »

I have just ordered this book... another one for my collection.
After ordering it I noticed it wasn’t written by Bernard V..
It looks like an older book, with an old price...
I’m not worried about how much Paid for it... just feel a little ripped off at the moment.
I have been looking for it on the forum but perhaps made the mistake by mentioning Mr Crabtree! ( now that is a classic!)
Just wondering what’s the deal with this book.
Mr B
The close season is an important and interesting time for the Angler who set out to catch big fish. It is a timely opportunity for him to make new tackle or renovate old. There are no end of jobs to do, apart from those horrible things called Gardens!

Duckett
Tench

Re: Mr Crabtree’s fishing tackle.

Post by Duckett »

Mr B wrote: Sun Nov 01, 2020 9:55 pm I have just ordered this book... another one for my collection.
After ordering it I noticed it wasn’t written by Bernard V..
It looks like an older book, with an old price...
I’m not worried about how much Paid for it... just feel a little ripped off at the moment.
I have been looking for it on the forum but perhaps made the mistake by mentioning Mr Crabtree! ( now that is a classic!)
Just wondering what’s the deal with this book.
Mr B
If it’s Mr Crabtree’s Guide to Good Fishing Tackle, you might also have felt that way when I first saw it in the early 1970s. If memory serves it’s from the Daily Mirror. It sat on my parents bookshelf next to Mr Crabtree Goes Fishing and as a novice angler i did a lot more thumbing through that than through the Tackle version. Newspapers climbing on a profitable bandwagon is not a new idea!

Though, as I haven’t seen a copy for over 40 years, I’d be interested in what you think of it!

Phil
From "... the wilds of the Wirral, whose wayward people both God and good men have quite given up on ...".

Mr B
Arctic Char

Post by Mr B »

Thanks Phil,
It will probably be a good read and no doubt I will learn something.,at least it’s got a good old price market on it.
Mr B
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
The close season is an important and interesting time for the Angler who set out to catch big fish. It is a timely opportunity for him to make new tackle or renovate old. There are no end of jobs to do, apart from those horrible things called Gardens!

Ian.R.McDonald
Chub

Post by Ian.R.McDonald »

With the popularity of Mr Crabtree ,reprints are very common. I would suggest that your book is much rarer and perhaps more interesting.

Think I will search for one myself

Kev D
Chub

Post by Kev D »

Pre decimal price of 7/6 ,that's 37 and a half pence!.
The same price as a Rod Licence ,(and dog licence ) if l recall.
In order to shoot some close-ups, wildlife photographer ,the late Len Scapstillon, lured the orca to him by dressing as a seal.......

Davejass
Rudd

Post by Davejass »

I have that book as well. You will find it very interesting as it lists the fish and how to catch them and the best tackle at that time.
Dated 1969
Dave@ Hastings

Mr B
Arctic Char

Post by Mr B »

When I was 11... just leaving my primary school to go into the big boys school!
Seems a long time ago now...
Had a few fish under my belt by then!

PeteD
Rudd

Post by PeteD »

I have a copy of this book. It is not a Mr Crabtree book at all really except a few reprinted cartoon strips. However it does give good descriptions of rods and reels available at the time with some nice pictures. There are certainly a lot of ABU products featured so I suspect they sponsored it in someway. A very nice book however that I am pleased to own.

Nobby
Wild Carp

Post by Nobby »

As a Daily Mirror employee, Bernard Venables didn't make a penny out of Mr.Crabtree Goes Fishing.

And he wasn't involved in any way with the fishing tackle book which included a very narrow view of the tackle available at the time.

I'm not sure why it was written at all unless it was to please some advertisers, maybe?

Mr B
Arctic Char

Post by Mr B »

Interesting points.....
I’ll have a read of it and see what I think...
It’s sad the Bernard Venables had nothing to do with it...
Just using his name... “That’s newspapers!”

Return to “Fishing Books and Magazines”