Come Fishing with me - Colin Willock

Discuss all your fishing books & magazines here.
Sneezewort
Bleak

Come Fishing with me - Colin Willock

Post by Sneezewort »

The first fishing book I ever read cover to cover - on permanent loan from the school library when I was 12 or 13.
I later bought an ex -Libris copy for the bookshelf, and as October looms, thoughts start to shift to the river.

The chapter heading “Dace- the fish with the lightening bite” stuck in my head all my angling life.
Just re-reading it fondly and smiling at the bit about the new mystical magical bait HEMP (well it was early 50s).
Apparently fished pushing the hook bend into the split ( I never found it to stay on !)

I love that a tip was to “paint the shank of your hemp hook white to represent a bursting ripe kernel” ... :Chuckle:
ImageImage
Earthing the current
“ I go to nature to be soothed and healed, and to have my senses put in order" - John Burroughs

Catfish.017
Eel

Re: Come Fishing with me - Colin Willock

Post by Catfish.017 »

You're in good company in your appreciation of this delightful little book as Chris Yates said he often re read it on his long sojourns at Redmire, particularly the chapter on Carp.

Barbelseeker
Brown Trout

Post by Barbelseeker »

A better method of hooking hemp, is to insert an (opened blunt end of a paper clip, or other small bluntish instrument) through the blunt end and then piecing the hemp through the side, taking care not to punch through to the other side. The hook can then be threaded through the hole. I hope these following photographs show how to do this, sorry about the quality of photo. Size 14 B611 hook.

Kev D
Chub

Post by Kev D »

Sneezewort wrote: Tue Sep 29, 2020 9:09 pm The first fishing book I ever read cover to cover - on permanent loan from the school library when I was 12 or 13.
I later bought an ex -Libris copy for the bookshelf, and as October looms, thoughts start to shift to the river.

The chapter heading “Dace- the fish with the lightening bite” stuck in my head all my angling life.
Just re-reading it fondly and smiling at the bit about the new mystical magical bait HEMP (well it was early 50s).
Apparently fished pushing the hook bend into the split ( I never found it to stay on !)

I love that a tip was to “paint the shank of your hemp hook white to represent a bursting ripe kernel” ... :Chuckle:
ImageImage
I read that book at school too .Along with various Phil Drabble works and things like Rebecca the Lurcher our library was a goldmine as far as l was concerned.
I met Colin Willock once when l was beating on a friend's shoot. At first l was puzzled by his seeming naivety as he smiled and nodded sagely at the exagerated tales of sporting prowess and snippets of supposed wisdom that some of the people there seemed obliged to empart to him.
After a bit l realised he wasn't naive . He was just very polite . He came across as a real Gentleman.
In order to shoot some close-ups, wildlife photographer ,the late Len Scapstillon, lured the orca to him by dressing as a seal.......

Pickerel
Gudgeon

Post by Pickerel »

Pretty sure a copy of that volume currently resides in my loft, albeit without the dust jacket...

Sneezewort
Bleak

Post by Sneezewort »

Barbelseeker wrote: Wed Sep 30, 2020 8:56 am A better method of hooking hemp, is to insert an (opened blunt end of a paper clip, or other small bluntish instrument) through the blunt end and then piecing the hemp through the side, taking care not to punch through to the other side. The hook can then be threaded through the hole. I hope these following photographs show how to do this, sorry about the quality of photo. Size 14 B611 hook.

Brilliant! Thank you :Thumb:
Earthing the current
“ I go to nature to be soothed and healed, and to have my senses put in order" - John Burroughs

Sneezewort
Bleak

Post by Sneezewort »

Pickerel wrote: Wed Sep 30, 2020 10:54 am Pretty sure a copy of that volume currently resides in my loft, albeit without the dust jacket...
:Wink: I have a copy of his “come fly fishing with me” too but it’s never quite grabbed me the same way this did.
I do love the inclusion of practising on coarse fish with the fly though, on “an undistinguished Surrey river” which I’m taking as the Mole or the Wey, both close to home.
Earthing the current

Sneezewort
Bleak

Post by Sneezewort »

Kev D wrote: Wed Sep 30, 2020 10:01 am
Sneezewort wrote: Tue Sep 29, 2020 9:09 pm The first fishing book I ever read cover to cover - on permanent loan from the school library when I was 12 or 13.

ImageImage
I read that book at school too .Along with various Phil Drabble works and things like Rebecca the Lurcher our library was a goldmine as far as l was concerned.
I met Colin Willock once when l was beating on a friend's shoot. At first l was puzzled by his seeming naivety as he smiled and nodded sagely at the exagerated tales of sporting prowess and snippets of supposed wisdom that some of the people there seemed obliged to empart to him.
After a bit l realised he wasn't naive . He was just very polite . He came across as a real Gentleman.
Wow, how great to have met him! I was just admiring those boots - they look like sheepskin lined flying boots to me from his war time exploits I like to imagine....
Thank you for adding to this story :Thumb:
Earthing the current

Sneezewort
Bleak

Post by Sneezewort »

Pickerel wrote: Wed Sep 30, 2020 10:54 am Pretty sure a copy of that volume currently resides in my loft, albeit without the dust jacket...
[/
Earthing the current

Sneezewort
Bleak

Post by Sneezewort »

Catfish.017 wrote: Wed Sep 30, 2020 8:51 am You're in good company in your appreciation of this delightful little book as Chris Yates said he often re read it on his long sojourns at Redmire, particularly the chapter on Carp.
Oh wow!
Good to know :Wink:
Time for a re-read I think *boils kettle* :tea: :Thumb:
Earthing the current

Return to “Fishing Books and Magazines”