E books

Discuss all your fishing books & magazines here.
Troydog
Tench

Re: E books

Post by Troydog »

On lockdown days when I have struggled, usually due to a lack of focus, then downloading a Simenon novel as an ebook has provided a most enjoyable few hours. At the end of the read they prompt you with the next title in the series you can buy. He wrote about thirty I think.
It is normally hardcopy books when I‘m on holiday in France, but I can’t see that happening for many months.
As the doctor on BBC said yesterday,”If you are male, overweight and 70” then social distancing may be here for life......I tick all the boxes....
Trouble is, the fish just don't read the books......
John Harding

StefanDuma
Grayling

Post by StefanDuma »

Once again many thanks for the input. I have just finished reading the Taxidermy book and if it was available as an ebook I would buy that as well.

I have many books one for the bookshelf and one as a working copy. An ebook might be an options as a working copy once I work out how the index works.

Troydog I fall in the same category but I am working on my BMI.

Mole-Patrol
Brown Trout

Post by Mole-Patrol »

Mick wrote: Sat May 30, 2020 6:25 pm As a retired compositor and proof reader, I'm afraid you wouldn't catch me anywhere near an E book. There is something about the printed word. :Scared:
Having had a book published in the old fashioned way back in 1990 I can see the attraction of e-publication for authors.

Coral Maestro
Chub

Post by Coral Maestro »

When I worked offshore in the oil industry I found eBooks very useful as we were restricted by the weight we could take with us. A Kindle Paperwhite doesn't weigh much at all and enables you to carry numbers of books for a bit of escapism when on the rig. I had eBook versions of several Tony Miles books, Fennels Journal, Vintage Fishing Rod Restoration Guide etc and all helped keep me sane while working in such an alien environment. It was also possible to download new books while on the rig.
Nowadays, it's proper books for me.
What do they know of fishing who know only one fish and one way to fish for him?
- Jack Hargreaves.

Santiago
Wild Carp

Post by Santiago »

When it comes to e books I'm a complete luddite. Give me a nice fish finder any day. I like my books to smell a little fusty and have a few of those wee little mites crawling over the pages. E books are devoid of any soul and have no aesthetic value whatsoever.
"....he felt the gentle touch on the line and he was happy"

Hemingway

StefanDuma
Grayling

Post by StefanDuma »

I think they both have a place. I own a number of antique books but have bought reproductions as working copies. I have lots of other books that I do like to drop into and chill out with. However this month we were going to do a trip through Europe 11 countries, more that 6000 miles and one month away. No way could I have carried enough reading material for that trip.

Now cancelled and put off till next year, I might be able to download a few more books.

Luga00
Brown Trout

Post by Luga00 »

I find e-books an absolute godsend. As much as I love old things and the nostalgia, sentiment and ethos behind an old tome, I'm actually allergic to the mould and dust that many old books proffer so if I can find something I'm looking for on Kindle I'll take it. I can't say it has dulled the experience of assimilating the knowledge by reading it electronically (Kindle screens are almost like paper in any case) and, if I enjoy an e-book enough I try to find a used hard copy for my bookshelf just to say I have it.
Russ

Ally
Silver Bream

Post by Ally »

Dont think anyone writes ebooks as such. Some are published in that format now. Cant abide reading from a screen so theyre a no no for me

StefanDuma
Grayling

Post by StefanDuma »

Well I am "doing an ebook" as well as two traditional books, a follow up to Men of Trent and the second part of Wadham covering everything except the reels.

I did hit a wall and decided to give it a break and downloaded two Jack Reacher books, yes I know loner, a drifter, turns up in a town and takes the side of the oppressed person and beats all the badies. But its is what it is. Two ebooks later after binge reading and I am back on the case.

An ebook on traditional/vintage/antique fishing tackle is not going to be picked up by someone and turned into "Killing Steve with his tackle" or what ever the next Killing Eve will be. But I am prepared to give it a go and it will be cheap.

Aitch
Pike

Post by Aitch »

The Jack Reacher books are a good study in planned ultra-violence... I've read a few and it always makes me laugh that Jack Reacher is portrayed as a 6'4" 250 lb Ex Army policeman and he's played in the movies by Tom Cruise... well known for being 5'4' and 9 stones wringing wet... :Hahaha:
Just one more cast love, and I'll be on me way home

Leave nothing but footprints, take nothing but pictures and memories

Return to “Fishing Books and Magazines”