E books

Discuss all your fishing books & magazines here.
StefanDuma
Grayling

E books

Post by StefanDuma »

Hi there whats the general opinion on ebooks.

Has anyone ever written one?

I have lots of books in various formats from some rare and scare originals, ie Coxon Bailey Martin to modern classic.

I also have a kindle and Apple ibook reader.

I usually download novels to the kindle and a few factual books.

We used to buy novels but they take up so much room we were getting rid every few months.

I have searched for Kindle book on Antique Fishing tackle and the ones available are all American and all on lures.

Any input, opinions would be welcome.

Bob Brookes
Zander

Re: E books

Post by Bob Brookes »

Having recently got my first Kindle I too would be interested. I have downloaded some BB and Chris Yates books (I also have hard copies) for re-reading in the garden.
I think one of the problems with information books would be the photos and illustrations.
"You do not cease to fish because you get old, you get old because you cease to fish"

Aitch
Pike

Post by Aitch »

if you have a tablet then you can download the Kindle app to the tablet then download books to the app and view the pictures, illustrations and photos perfectly well and in colour.... (a downfall of the Kindle)
I have a Kindle and find it invaluable... my good lady has my older one and I have the "PaperWhite" once you have your account set up, downloading ebooks is done at the touch of a button... (some Kindles have an Audiobook feature built in)

That said there is something wonderful about opening the first page of a new book, in a favourite chair, with a glass of something nice....
Just one more cast love, and I'll be on me way home

Leave nothing but footprints, take nothing but pictures and memories

Pallenpool
Zander

Post by Pallenpool »

My wife uses Kindle for everyday reading - novels (mainly modern titles) as it prevents the shelves building up, and in turn saves the charity shops excepting them and in turn overburdening there’s.

When it comes to anything I would like to read it is as Aitch says a good old book - I very very rarely pass-on any books I do buy - most I dip into again and again and invariably reread completely - and some very regularly indeed. There is something about a book it’s presence and it’s tactile nature that seems to give (me) a real sense of something rather special - I could just be old fashioned, but as i’m writing this post on ‘the’ Traditional fishing forum - It seems fitting that I most probably am slightly always hankering after something in the way of nostalgia and like a piece of cane and a pin a hardback book fits very nicely indeed.
No man ever steps in the same river twice, for it's not the same river and he's not the same man.

Heraclitus

www.thepiscatorialraconteurs.co.uk

StefanDuma
Grayling

Post by StefanDuma »

Thank you very much for your input the last book I read, The Rat Line, on my Kindle had no colour pictures now I know why. Although I have looked at a couple of American books and they show colour photographs, I might have to look into that as it could be data size.

Bob you might have guessed where I am going with this and ATO, I have managed to put lots of the articles but its 200k plus words and 300 pages, an illustrated Kindle book is 20k words.

I still like to get a book of the shelf and read it either with a coffee wine or whiskey

Olly
Wild Carp

Post by Olly »

My wife has a Kindle - glued to her!

I have tried to use it but it fails me completely - soulless to me and not tactile. I prefer paper (or other material) as I don't read a book - I dip in and out, just for information. So very few "story" books - just the instructional, informative or historical type for me. With as many natural history books as angling.

Aitch
Pike

Post by Aitch »

I recently started a subscription to an app called "Readly" via my Android Tablet... I can read as many magazines I like via this app for a tenner a month... Angling times/Mail every week, as many Bike magazines as I want and many many other publications as I can handle... not a bad deal to be honest...
Just one more cast love, and I'll be on me way home

Leave nothing but footprints, take nothing but pictures and memories

Mick
Chub

Post by Mick »

As a retired compositor and proof reader, I'm afraid you wouldn't catch me anywhere near an E book. There is something about the printed word. :Scared:

Dom Andrew
Rudd

Post by Dom Andrew »

I prefer books over e-books. You cannot beat the feel of a book and smell of the ink and paper.
Ink on paper is also gentler on the eyes, compared to typeface on screen.

When it comes to non-fiction books, where one might want to underline or make margin notes, I use PDF versions on my computer (not having a Kindle, or such like), for I hate marking my books in any way with pencil.

Dom. :readnews:

Duckett
Tench

Post by Duckett »

For those interested in out of copyright and out of print publications, Project Gutenberg is worth following and popping on to check out from time to time.

https://www.gutenberg.org/wiki/Main_Page

I’m looking for a range of things and have so far only spotted 2 ebooks to download from there that are angling related: a book for children by Arthur Ransome on ponds, rivers etc and associated wildlife; and something called “The Sportswoman’s Library Vol. 2” which has chapters on game fishing, coarse fishing and fly fishing, all written by women in 1898 and worth a read.

The search function is a bit clunky but there are books there you won’t see anywhere else and it’s expanding all the time. Read the home page though, it’s self-explanatory.
From "... the wilds of the Wirral, whose wayward people both God and good men have quite given up on ...".

Return to “Fishing Books and Magazines”