The Creel..

Discuss all your fishing books & magazines here.
RBTraditional
Catfish

Re: The Creel..

Post by RBTraditional »

Liphook wrote: Sun Apr 19, 2020 1:02 pm I've heard of Creel but haven't actually had a copy in my hands. Something else to add to the ever growing list of must have/reads
You won’t be disappointed... go for the early editions if you can find them, whilst Venables was still at the helm :dancing: :Hat:
" Angling is not an escape from life, but often a deeper immersion into it..."

https://thepiscatorialraconteurs.co.uk/

Liphook
Barbel

Post by Liphook »

Thanks RBT, I'll keep my eyes posted. Those bound editions look the tivket

Fredline
Tench

Post by Fredline »

BV did the first 18 editions only and it shows. No 19 is very sad in comparison to the previous Bernie V magazines.
If you have no grease with you, and your rings are full of ice, do not cut out the ice with a pen-knife but get your man to put the rings one by one in his mouth, and so to thaw the ice.
John Bickerdyke.

Michael
Tench

Post by Michael »

I've got three bound volumes, which I think totals around 36 editions, then the odd 11 copies (in white soft folder) before the cessation of publishing, May 1967 edition. Fortunately they all have the re-order cards and freebee paperwork attached..
Over the years, numerous articles were published by some knowledgeable & authoritive writers, but as with a large percentage of bespoked fishing magazines, it limped on to long after its use by date....

Fredline
Tench

Post by Fredline »

Well done Michael, Volume 3 is a very rare bird.
If you have no grease with you, and your rings are full of ice, do not cut out the ice with a pen-knife but get your man to put the rings one by one in his mouth, and so to thaw the ice.
John Bickerdyke.

Reedling
Catfish

Post by Reedling »

I also have heard of Creel but have never seen nor read a copy. Mr Willow and Tom are names new to me also, and loving Mr Crabtree strip format I am sure I would love it. Was there ever a book of Mr Willow and Toms ventures to the bank does anyone know? Thankyou Michael for this posting.

Michael
Tench

Post by Michael »

Fredline wrote: Mon Apr 20, 2020 7:16 am Well done Michael, Volume 3 is a very rare bird.
Maybe, if I ever have a few spare rupees, I'll have the remainder bound in a similar manner...

And if the Mrs is reading this, that's just a silly idea! :whistle:

Michael
Tench

Post by Michael »

Reedling wrote: Mon Apr 20, 2020 9:28 am I also have heard of Creel but have never seen nor read a copy. Mr Willow and Tom are names new to me also, and loving Mr Crabtree strip format I am sure I would love it. Was there ever a book of Mr Willow and Toms ventures to the bank does anyone know? Thankyou Michael for this posting.
Not that I know Reedling.

The strip cartoon was only published as long as Bernard Venables was at the magazine. I presume that the copyright etc, remained with the publisher/ magazine etc, who didn't follow through with a book?
I think Mr Cherry etc, followed on from his departure from the Creel, but more knowledgeable folk may know.

I seemed to recall being told, that Bernard Venables published material, that is his books/art therein, the copyright didn't always go hand in hand, so to speak...

Reedling
Catfish

Post by Reedling »

Thanks Michael, yes maybe someone will know if there was a book with Mr Willow in. I have a couple of the Cherry and Jim booklets called Lets go fishing, these were illustrated by BV which are lovely to look at.

Dom Andrew
Rudd

Post by Dom Andrew »

Michael wrote: Mon Apr 20, 2020 10:11 am
Reedling wrote: Mon Apr 20, 2020 9:28 am I also have heard of Creel but have never seen nor read a copy. Mr Willow and Tom are names new to me also, and loving Mr Crabtree strip format I am sure I would love it. Was there ever a book of Mr Willow and Toms ventures to the bank does anyone know? Thankyou Michael for this posting.
Not that I know Reedling.

The strip cartoon was only published as long as Bernard Venables was at the magazine. I presume that the copyright etc, remained with the publisher/ magazine etc, who didn't follow through with a book?
I think Mr Cherry etc, followed on from his departure from the Creel, but more knowledgeable folk may know.

I seemed to recall being told, that Bernard Venables published material, that is his books/art therein, the copyright didn't always go hand in hand, so to speak...
Maybe the publisher could be contacted, and a separate Mr Willow & Tom book suggested.

Dom.

Return to “Fishing Books and Magazines”