Big Roach 2

Discuss all your fishing books & magazines here.
Troydog
Tench

Big Roach 2

Post by Troydog »

A birthday gift of a book by Mark Wintle is on the table. Lots of lovely reading ahead. It’s just as well, since the windows of opportunity to get on the river only last for a few hours before the next deluge arrives. I chatted to one who braved the gales this morning. Two huge trees lay prostrate 50 metres behind him. He said he was looking for 60lb of roach before lunchtime; it would be about thirty fish he said, winking at me.
I guess he must have read Marks book already......
Trouble is, the fish just don't read the books......
John Harding

DaceAce
Eel

Re: Big Roach 2

Post by DaceAce »

Yer actual author got on the Stour today and had 70 roach to 1-5 plus a bonus 10oz dace, all on the breadpunch in three hours. As you say the window of opportunity as the wind dropped, the river settled and the roach fed.

Enjoy the book.

Michael
Tench

Post by Michael »

One of my favourite roach books and in all honesty, actually one of the best single species books, of course along with Roach 1.
Well written, presented and very informative...

Troydog
Tench

Post by Troydog »

Well done DaceAce, that sounds like a great session. There was a three hour window for me this morning but all the family are home from London, so I was restricted to walking the river and dodging falling trees. Water is 9.5 degrees C so I must try in the morning, before the cold stuff gets here on Tuesday. Only 20 days to go....
Yes - a super book Michael, but I don’t know how I’ll get to read Big Roach 1.
John Harding

DaceAce
Eel

Post by DaceAce »

Troydog wrote: Sun Feb 23, 2020 12:36 pm Well done DaceAce, that sounds like a great session. There was a three hour window for me this morning but all the family are home from London, so I was restricted to walking the river and dodging falling trees. Water is 9.5 degrees C so I must try in the morning, before the cold stuff gets here on Tuesday. Only 20 days to go....
Yes - a super book Michael, but I don’t know how I’ll get to read Big Roach 1.
Not sure I'll get out again before midweek.

Your best bet for the first book, Big Roach, is ebay. Three copies sold recently at varying prices from £50 to £75. My stock has run out.

Troydog
Tench

Post by Troydog »

Many thanks DaceAce
John Harding

Martin James
Tench

Post by Martin James »

Mark Wintle in my opinion has given use 2 great books on roach fishing which every addict should read, not once but several times. I was very privileged to receive signed copies of Big Roach and Big Roach 2 for my 82nd birthday by my friend Paul Elliott.

Troydog
Tench

Post by Troydog »

You are right Martin. I've only got the one book at the moment but it is a joy to read. What a lovely birthday present for you to receive - only twelve days to go Martin - I'll be on the Wye this afternoon as it drops down from Saturdays flooding.....
John Harding

Martin James
Tench

Post by Martin James »

Tim sadly I want be able to get out fishing this week, as after my eye operation I mustn't carry any weights or bend, but hopefully I can get out every day next week.

Troydog
Tench

Post by Troydog »

I am sorry to hear that you have to obey doctors orders this week. But hopefully next week you will be back on those river banks. And even if you are not quite ready by then, you could write a summary of all the wonderful moments from your 2019 / 2020 season. Every TFF member would want to read that.....
John Harding

Return to “Fishing Books and Magazines”