The Domesday Book of English Fish Taxidermists

Discuss all your fishing books & magazines here.
Poacher
Minnow

Post by Poacher »

[The Domesday Book of English Fish Taxidermists will be launched by Coch-y-Bonddu Books at the BFFI in Stafford on 8/9th February.£125.00 ]

By Barry Williams
Cannock taxidermist Barry Williams has spent many years researching the history of cased fish and the taxidermists who preserved them. The Domesday Book of English Fish Taxidermists will be launched by Coch-y-Bonddu Books at the BFFI in Stafford on 8/9th February. Illustrated with over 950 photographs, including portraits, documents, record pike, Thames trout and many other fish, this huge book is an authoritative reference for collectors of cased fish and taxidermy, as well as being of great interest to fishermen and angling historians.

More information on the link :- :Hat: https://www.anglebooks.com/the-domesday ... iams.html

Luke
Grayling

Re: The Domesday Book of English Fish Taxidermists

Post by Luke »

As I no longer work for CYB I hope I can say this without it being considered an advert.

I met Barry last weekend at the BFFI. Interesting chap, passionate and knowledgeable about his subject. I must confess that I have never been a big fan of fish taxidermy but the historical aspects of the book look to be of great interest. He has been collating information for the book for more than 20 years and has finally got round to putting it all together. A mammoth task, deserving of its title. I hope it does well.

MoleFisher
Stickleback

Post by MoleFisher »

I have a copy of this book and I find it a most interesting and informative read. Once you start delving into its pages you begin to understand why it took 20 years to complete.
No stone is left unturned,Barry Williams has searched relentlessly for every detail about each taxidermist; and found them!
A lot of myths are dispelled and the truth is told.
£125. may, at first , seem a lot for a book but when you consider that the 600 pages are equal to three books it becomes reasonable.
If you have an interest in fishing history you won’t be disappointed.
Michael Nadell

KevClifford
Minnow

Post by KevClifford »

Fantastic book. A life's work for Barry Williams and the bible of fish taxidermy. Beautifully produced by Paul Morgan of Coch-y-Bonduu books.

Dave Burr
Honorary Vice President

Post by Dave Burr »

Some big guns have come on to approve the book :Wink:

At £125 a copy my first thought was obviously "Stuff that" :Sarcasm: but I reckon that anybody that does invest will be buying a quality item that is likely to be an investment.

Reedling
Catfish

Post by Reedling »

If someone invests in the book. please do me a big favour and have a look to see if the initials FHD are in there. I have a tatty old fish in this glass case. Thankyou in anticipation. :Hat:

Swythyn Troutbeck
Grayling

Post by Swythyn Troutbeck »

I have a nice collection of taxidermy fish so I'm delighted to see this new book and have placed an order. It won';t arrive until next month but I'll look up FHD for you Mr. Reedling, sir.

Troutbeck :Hat:
When I'm not fishin' I'm fettlin'

Reedling
Catfish

Post by Reedling »

Swythyn Troutbeck wrote: Wed Feb 19, 2020 10:45 am I have a nice collection of taxidermy fish so I'm delighted to see this new book and have placed an order. It won';t arrive until next month but I'll look up FHD for you Mr. Reedling, sir.

That is very kind of you, thankyou. :Hat:

Mario
Eel

Post by Mario »

i have been considering buying this book for a week or two and tonight I've bought the leather the book looks very interesting indeed and i no paul morgans books to be quality books and his one the best publishers yes its lot money but it will give me a lot joy owning such a fine book so i stumped up the cash

Swythyn Troutbeck
Grayling

Post by Swythyn Troutbeck »

The book arrived this afternoon and it's a beauty! Sorry Mr.Reedling but I haven't found an FHD as yet...although those could be the initials of an employee within a known taxidermy firm. I'll keep my eyes peeled as I read though it in the coming weeks.

When I'm not fishin' I'm fettlin'

Return to “Fishing Books and Magazines”