The Domesday Book of English Fish Taxidermists

Discuss all your fishing books & magazines here.
Reedling
Catfish

Re: The Domesday Book of English Fish Taxidermists

Post by Reedling »

Swythyn Troutbeck wrote: Wed Mar 11, 2020 5:35 pm The book arrived this afternoon and it's a beauty! Sorry Mr.Reedling but I haven't found an FHD as yet...although those could be the initials of an employee within a known taxidermy firm. I'll keep my eyes peeled as I read though it in the coming weeks.

Troutbeck :Hat:
I would appreciate that very much ST, it would be lovely to put a name to the cased fish and thanks for looking. :Hat:

Swythyn Troutbeck
Grayling

Post by Swythyn Troutbeck »

You're more than welcome. I can't resist a bit of fishing sleuthing!

Troutbeck :Hat:
When I'm not fishin' I'm fettlin'

Mario
Eel

Post by Mario »

my leather-bound book arrived yesterday and i wasn't disspointed excellent looking book I'm going to have another look at it tonight

StefanDuma
Grayling

Post by StefanDuma »

Mine is on its way looking forward to reading it as I won't be going out anytime soon.

I remember speaking to him on many occasions and the burning question he always asked me "Have you come across a picture of Cooper"

Sadly no was always the anwer.

Mario
Eel

Post by Mario »

the photos in here are fantastic and it has been very well produced by paul morgan

StefanDuma
Grayling

Post by StefanDuma »

I'm about 100 pages in and thoroughly enjoying it, although I was unable to find mention of a Nottingham Taxidermist B Rose so far.

Mario
Eel

Post by Mario »

there is lot about neck of the woods birmingham a lot i didn't realise or know about like the birmingham anglers assciosation had very big collection of fish including some of the most famous taxidermist

Penninelad
Arctic Char

Post by Penninelad »

As a very little boy I can vaguely recall peering into the window of the shop of Peter Spicer & Co Ltd in Leamington Spa.I think they had a Royal Warrant.I believe shop closed in the 50's or early 1960's and the contents were sold off at rock bottom prices as taxidermy had fallen out of fashion.If my recollection is correct there was a stuffed baby elephant in a huge bowed glass fronted shop window.Bob Brookes,you are older than me so you may also be able to remember the shop?
Mark Davies

Paul F
Sea Trout

Post by Paul F »

I recently bought a copy of this book, i have an interest in fish taxidermy, but at £125 i did stall a bit!

But wow, what a book, anybody interested in 19th & 20th century angling history and taxidermy should consider owning a copy.

Over 600 pages, so many gorgeous photos of fish cases, so much history and information.

I can hardly put it down, it is one of those books you will return to when you come acroos a cased fish or one of the many taxidermist names.

Probably one of the best books after John Drewetts book on my bookcase, worth every penny :Hat:

Return to “Fishing Books and Magazines”