What are you reading?

Discuss all your fishing books & magazines here.
Rutland Rod
Arctic Char

Re: What are you reading?

Post by Rutland Rod »

Two recent big sellers and one old one from 1971 on my hunting interestImage

Champ
Chub

Post by Champ »

Wilding by Isabella Tree was a real eye opener for me RR.I could say that its mind blowing from the farming to wildlife point of view.But i had better not :Chuckle: .......

JohnClyde
Perch

Post by JohnClyde »

Pallenpool wrote: Wed Apr 29, 2020 3:09 pm
JohnClyde wrote: Wed Apr 15, 2020 8:44 pm The perfect lockdown book...Huysmans' 'Against Nature' - a healthy blast of misanthropy, viciousness and refinement.

Got J.A. Baker's Peregrine lined up next which is supposed to be magnificent in literary terms as much as it is in subject matter.
Have you read La Bas (Down there) it’s a superb read.
:Hat:
Ah, no I've not read La Bas. I'll put it on the list. I've just finished Cormac McCarthy's Blood Meridian (I've got mixed feelings), so I can do without anymore angsty nihilistic black mass darkness stuff for at least a few months!

Up next is Cyril Connolly, so quite a change of pace; cucumber sandwiches to McCarthy's 5lb porterhouse BBQ steak.

Pallenpool
Zander

Post by Pallenpool »

JohnClyde wrote: Tue May 05, 2020 12:24 pm
Pallenpool wrote: Wed Apr 29, 2020 3:09 pm
JohnClyde wrote: Wed Apr 15, 2020 8:44 pm The perfect lockdown book...Huysmans' 'Against Nature' - a healthy blast of misanthropy, viciousness and refinement.

Got J.A. Baker's Peregrine lined up next which is supposed to be magnificent in literary terms as much as it is in subject matter.
Have you read La Bas (Down there) it’s a superb read.
Ah, no I've not read La Bas. I'll put it on the list. I've just finished Cormac McCarthy's Blood Meridian (I've got mixed feelings), so I can do without anymore angsty nihilistic black mass darkness stuff for at least a few months!

Up next is Cyril Connolly, so quite a change of pace; cucumber sandwiches to McCarthy's 5lb porterhouse BBQ steak.
If you have not read Cyril Connolly’s Unquiet Grave written under the pseudonym Palinurus - I can strongly recommend this to you - very interesting reading indeed - if not a little of its time - but none the less excellent. Apologies for the recommendations - but we seem to treading along very similar paths.
Peter
No man ever steps in the same river twice, for it's not the same river and he's not the same man.

Heraclitus

www.thepiscatorialraconteurs.co.uk

JohnClyde
Perch

Post by JohnClyde »

We do indeed Peter! And it IS a copy of the Unquiet Grave sat waiting to be read.

Pallenpool
Zander

Post by Pallenpool »

JohnClyde wrote: Tue May 05, 2020 1:39 pm We do indeed Peter! And it IS a copy of the Unquiet Grave sat waiting to be read.
Crikey we are walking in each other’s footsteps.........
I hope you enjoy his commentary on so many things.

Peter
No man ever steps in the same river twice, for it's not the same river and he's not the same man.

Heraclitus

www.thepiscatorialraconteurs.co.uk

Silfield
Brown Trout

Post by Silfield »

Dipping in and out off these two at the moment but leaning more towards Wetlands due partially to the local interest and the way the information is portrayed in Mr. Bellamy's book.Image
“There is certainly something in angling that tends to produce a serenity of the mind.”
Washington Irving

Santiago
Wild Carp

Post by Santiago »

Venable's A Fisherman's Testament, to get myself in the mood for the coming season!
"....he felt the gentle touch on the line and he was happy"

Hemingway

Aitch
Pike

Post by Aitch »

It was our 34th wedding anniversary on Sunday and my good lady bought me this...

I shall start it tonight with a glass of something nice...
Just one more cast love, and I'll be on me way home

Leave nothing but footprints, take nothing but pictures and memories

Cane
Grayling

Post by Cane »

Silfield wrote: Fri May 15, 2020 2:15 pm Dipping in and out off these two at the moment but leaning more towards Wetlands due partially to the local interest and the way the information is portrayed in Mr. Bellamy's book.Image
David Bellamy! There was a man who knew his stuff! In my humble opinion, no one since, on TV has lived up to him as a presenter.
In the mud and scum of things, something always, always sings!
Mrs Wigg's philosophy

Return to “Fishing Books and Magazines”