What are you reading?

Discuss all your fishing books & magazines here.
Kev D
Chub

Re: What are you reading?

Post by Kev D »

RBTraditional wrote: Tue Apr 14, 2020 4:09 pm
Bobthefloat wrote: Tue Apr 14, 2020 2:55 pm Image

I've just started this and I'll admit I'm constantly referring to my dictionary and then re reading lines but that isn't taking away any of the enjoyment from it for me in fact the complete opposite as I'm also being educated along the way.
The style of which it is written has grabbed me completely. I saw a comment on here somewhere by Hermit saying it's like art with words and I couldn't agree more I cant wait to get back to it!!!
Glad you’re enjoying it Terry, probably his finest work from so many gems written by the great man. Certainly my favourite angling book....
I recognised the cover and realised that l read it ,possibly in the school library , a long time ago. Just remembering it makes me really want to read it again!
At the moment l am going through my pile of "To keep or not to keep" books and rereading Fishing In The Making by L R Peart.
Swallows and wagtails get-off lightly with mild chastisement for the heinous crime of depriving trout of valuable insect food. Swans on the other hand.......
20200415_192957.jpg
🦢🦢🦢📸
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
In order to shoot some close-ups, wildlife photographer ,the late Len Scapstillon, lured the orca to him by dressing as a seal.......

RBTraditional
Catfish

Post by RBTraditional »

Well we all know what Dick Walker thought of Swans as well.... different era.....
" Angling is not an escape from life, but often a deeper immersion into it..."

https://thepiscatorialraconteurs.co.uk/

JohnClyde
Perch

Post by JohnClyde »

The perfect lockdown book...Huysmans' 'Against Nature' - a healthy blast of misanthropy, viciousness and refinement.

Got J.A. Baker's Peregrine lined up next which is supposed to be magnificent in literary terms as much as it is in subject matter.

Shimmer45
Minnow

Post by Shimmer45 »

order both of Stu Harris's book, finished the 1st one pretty quickly and currently digesting the second one
all need some "romantic" none rat race fishing books to disappear into at the mo

Rutland Rod
Arctic Char

Post by Rutland Rod »

JohnClyde wrote: Wed Apr 15, 2020 8:44 pm The perfect lockdown book...Huysmans' 'Against Nature' - a healthy blast of misanthropy, viciousness and refinement.

Got J.A. Baker's Peregrine lined up next which is supposed to be magnificent in literary terms as much as it is in subject matter.
The Peregrine is considered a classic of nature writing, I thoroughly enjoyed it, let us know what you think.
Dave

Pallenpool
Zander

Post by Pallenpool »

JohnClyde wrote: Wed Apr 15, 2020 8:44 pm The perfect lockdown book...Huysmans' 'Against Nature' - a healthy blast of misanthropy, viciousness and refinement.

Have you read La Bas (Down there) it’s a superb read.
:Hat:
No man ever steps in the same river twice, for it's not the same river and he's not the same man.

Heraclitus

www.thepiscatorialraconteurs.co.uk

Martin James
Eel

Post by Martin James »

Phil just read The struggle for Europe" by Chester Wilmot, as you said it’s a great read, several of my friends have now ordered copies. Just waiting for a copy of The book of The Roach by John Greville Fennell Ist edition to arrive. I’ve been trying to read the book on my laptop but find it difficult to read. Paul Gobia Gobia is sending the book as an early birthday present. How good is that.

Phil Arnott
Crucian Carp

Post by Phil Arnott »

Martin James wrote: Wed Apr 29, 2020 3:45 pm Phil just read The struggle for Europe" by Chester Wilmot, as you said it’s a great read, several of my friends have now ordered copies. Just waiting for a copy of The book of The Roach by John Greville Fennell Ist edition to arrive. I’ve been trying to read the book on my laptop but find it difficult to read. Paul Gobia Gobia is sending the book as an early birthday present. How good is that.
I'm glad you enjoyed the Chester Wilmot book. It is regarded as a classic.

I've considered "The Book of The Roach" but I have to choose my books very carefully these days as I have very little shelf space having over 500 fishing books and 100+ books on wildlife etc. I really need to get rid of some of the less important ones.

Martin James
Eel

Post by Martin James »

Phil What I have found interesting is the author discusses the importance of water temperature readings, remember this is in the the mid 1800's

Snape
Bailiff

Post by Snape »

Some new lockdown reading arrived today. Really looking forward to this one and dreaming of those wildie waters...

“Fishing is much more than fish. It is the great occasion when we may return to the fine simplicity of our forefathers,” Herbert Hoover.
`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸ ><((((º>

Return to “Fishing Books and Magazines”