Fallon's Angler Issue 17 and new Film

Discuss all your fishing books & magazines here.
Bobthefloat
Rainbow Trout

Re: Fallon's Angler Issue 17 and new Film

Post by Bobthefloat »

Hovis wrote: Tue Oct 29, 2019 8:19 pm
Nigel Rainton wrote: Mon Oct 28, 2019 10:54 am I watched the film prepared to be Wow-ed. I was disappointed, worried and slightly annoyed.

I liked the way it was filmed and presented. The music was great.

I was disappointed by the telling of a story which might encourage others to aspire to an alternative life style. It was very romantic, the scenery, dogs, horse and cottage in the woods. It gave the impression that he lives as an Outsider "away from the main current". In my opinion that is irresponsible. If the film had shown the winter rain, the mud and snow, the lack of services and the occasional journey to the shop/garage for food and petrol it would have been balanced.

I was worried for his health and mental state. Old age and illness will eventually force him back into the main current.

I was annoyed because I got the impression that if it were not for him fishing, this film would probably not have been made. We have an ex-serviceman who lives in the forest. He has a house but he chooses to live as a down-and-out. Nobody has made a film about him. There are hundreds of homeless people with drug / alcohol / mental illnesses and their lifestyle is not an aspiration.

Living 'off grid' is not something we should encourage.

Nigel, yours are strong words indeed, but clearly thought through and rational.

Personally I feel we have no right to judge or make assumptions based on a delightful, if short, little film. Is the situation realistic? Staged even? It really doesn't matter does it. In my eyes it captured very well some of the spirt of Del and his life. He got buildings, fire wood and structure - hardly scraping an existence. Yes, it failed to show those, no doubt frequent, trips for supplies and fuel but, and it's a big but, would it have made a difference? Would it have seemed less "appealing" possibly, but some of that magic would no doubt have been lost if it was included. If it's his choice let it be. Make no mistake people who embark on such journeys are unlikely to do it without substantial consideration and if they do, they aren't likely to do it for long.

In my eyes the social conventions of "modern" society such as get a job, buy a house, be a success need as much, if not more, warning to those likely to enter into it.

Long live escapism, freedom and the drive to reject the path most trodden say I.
Hear hear :cheers:

Ally
Silver Bream

Post by Ally »

Nigel Rainton wrote: Mon Oct 28, 2019 10:54 am I watched the film prepared to be Wow-ed. I was disappointed, worried and slightly annoyed.

I was worried for his health and mental state. Old age and illness will eventually force him back into the main current.
He didn't strike me as having mental health problems and he does live in a house so isnt exactly down and out. Not something Id fancy but lots of people in the mainstream have depression etc.

How about Dexter Petley in his French yurt. Now that is living outside. Hes knocking on too.

Nigel Rainton
Rainbow Trout

Post by Nigel Rainton »

Dexter Pedley - Love, Madness, Fishing - spent time in an asylum. I'm not implying that everyone who lives off grid is mentally ill. An alternative lifestyle is great, millenials will probably be forced in that direction by climate change. I doubt the wisdom in glorifying extreme isolation.

Ally
Silver Bream

Post by Ally »

Yeah I remember that article. But didn't he claim he wasnt really ill. Cant recall the reasons now. Living in the woods wouldnt suit me tho

GregF
Crucian Carp

Post by GregF »

Nigel Rainton wrote: Dexter Pedley - Love, Madness, Fishing - spent time in an asylum. I'm not implying that everyone who lives off grid is mentally ill.
Ally wrote: Yeah I remember that article. But didn't he claim he wasnt really ill. Cant recall the reasons now.
It is quite clear in Love, Madness, Fishing that the teenage DP feigned depression to impress a girl and the nightmarish episodes which followed were brought on by the medication administered. Infatuation and youthful folly yes; mental illness, not really.
Nigel Rainton wrote: An alternative lifestyle is great, millenials will probably be forced in that direction by climate change.
Absolutely. In decades past, those who aspired to more sustainable lifestyles were widely dismissed as ‘cranks’. In today’s lunatic world of dangerous, unrestrained consumption, their perspective appears increasingly sane.
Nigel Rainton wrote: I doubt the wisdom in glorifying extreme isolation.
While solitude has undeniable benefits, it’s true that long periods of isolation can lead to negative introspection or worse. It might be unwise to promote it as a viable lifestyle-choice but I don’t think the video does this. Surely there’s enough mess, grime and windswept discomfort to act as a counterpoint to any perceived romance. Moreover, it’s a gentle little fishing film narrowcast to a niche and mostly mature audience. I can’t imagine viewers abandoning their modern comforts to live like hermits as a result of watching it. I could be wrong though, I often am.
"Give up haste and ambition, close your mouth, only then will you comprehend the spirit of Tao" - Lao Tze

Ally
Silver Bream

Post by Ally »

Anyway whens the magazine out. I read theres another at christmas. Seems a bit like buses :Hahaha:

The Tuesday Swim
Grayling

Post by The Tuesday Swim »

Thank you for the comments, good or bad they are always helpful as we move forward and look at new film projects. One thing you must realise that we had a window of just two days to film Del, our Fallon's budget are limited, this is not the BBC! A return to see him in mid winter (or even throughout the year) would have created a fuller picture of Del's lifestyle but sadly this couldn't be possible.
Regarding his lifestyle and his mental state, I can safely say despite his old age he is both fully fit and mentally very agile. You have to remember Del has lived this way all of his adult life, it wasn't a choice to become 'off grid,' he lives as the only way he has ever know, sitting at home with the central heating on, looking at the TV would be as alien to him as it would be for many sitting around a fire, with only candles for light and a book for your only form of escapism. He does have a daughter ten miles away who keeps a close eye on him, and his neighbours who live in the castle.
The film was really just about getting an insight into his life through his stories and ideas, we recorded over 8 hours of footage which we may turn into some podcasts in the future.
To summarise I can safely say Del is both healthy and happy.
Regards
Nick

Kev Parr
Perch

Post by Kev Parr »

Ally wrote: Sun Nov 03, 2019 2:14 pm Anyway whens the magazine out. I read theres another at christmas. Seems a bit like buses :Hahaha:
This week for Issue 17 (it's had quite the fit of hiccups....) and yes, Issue 18 out for Christmas....yikes!

RBTraditional
Catfish

Post by RBTraditional »

Excellent news Kev, I shall run a nice hot deep bath and pour a single malt of good measure in readiness of its imminent arrival....one of life’s guilty pleasures, a good read in the bath whilst savouring the delights of some of Scotland’s finest..... :cheers: :Thumb:
" Angling is not an escape from life, but often a deeper immersion into it..."

https://thepiscatorialraconteurs.co.uk/

Kev Parr
Perch

Post by Kev Parr »

Perfect Rob!

Return to “Fishing Books and Magazines”