Samuel Allcock and his Fishing Tackle

Discuss all your fishing books & magazines here.
Churchill
Bleak

Samuel Allcock and his Fishing Tackle

Post by Churchill »

A huge gap in our angling history is the Samuel Allcock story.

" This isn't a biography of Samuel Allcock or a collector's guide to Allcock fishing tackle, but it's the next best thing. This Allcock Primer brings together 138 primary documents about the life and career of Samuel Allcock and the tackle made by his Standard Works. These sources include everything from detailed contemporary tours of the Allcock factory complex to the introduction of new tackle. This near 400 page primer is supplemented by appendices including 50 pages from Allcock catalogs and a photo gallery showing 100+ pieces of rare Allcock tackle. Taken as a whole, it is the basis for any future study of Samuel and S. Allcock & Co.
Each source is introduced by Dr. Todd E.A. Larson in order to place it into proper historical context."
I'm currently reading a proof and hopefully it will be available in a few weeks time. The joy of Dr Todd Larson's tome is that it is written in many voices. He has very selectively brought together 138 primary documents from contemporary writers of the time. This way of detailing the life and career of Samuel Allcock, and the tackle made by his Standard Works, allows each reader to paint their own individual version of the story.

Some of you may know Dr Todd and his US based Whitefish Press. Good news for UK readers is that I've been working with Todd and we hope to have books printed and distributed from within the UK.

I'll supply further details as and when

Brian

Pallenpool
Zander

Re: Samuel Allcock and his Fishing Tackle

Post by Pallenpool »

That is extremely good news indeed - as you point out a huge void has been waiting and waiting to be filled, it now looks as if this book will go some of the way in rectifying this. Very much looking forward to the updates and thankyou for posting
:Hat:
No man ever steps in the same river twice, for it's not the same river and he's not the same man.

Heraclitus

www.thepiscatorialraconteurs.co.uk

Penninelad
Arctic Char

Post by Penninelad »

Having been a regular visitor to Redditch as a small boy when the tackle trade was still going I would find this book very interesting.
Mark Davies

Nobby
Wild Carp

Post by Nobby »

By all accounts, busy man as he was...he didn't fish! Very religious and a huge benefactor to Redditch.

Return to “Fishing Books and Magazines”